New park in town

River Falls Travel Blog

purple flowers

That hill by my house is now a town park.  Which of course means there are a bunch of rules that didn't used to be there.  For instance, no organized sports up there (not that there is room or anyone watching in the first place!).  I walked up there one day this spring to see if the trees were budding yet.  They were just starting to bud and some spring flowers were just starting to bloom.  I walked around the little path on top of the hill a couple of times.  There were some deer tracks and some coyote scat up there but I didn't see any animals.  You can no longer camp up there in the little campsite, but the fire pit is still there.  Most of the "park" is very overgrown, but the trails had been groomed - the path was mowed just wide enough to walk.

tree buds

When I was little, we used to sled down this hill - we called it Suicide Hill because it was so steep and there were trees at the bottom.  Now it is extremely overgrown and I don't think you could even get a sled down the hill, but a little remnant of the path from the top remains.  The neighbor on the trail up to the park still keeps his side of the hill mowed for sledding (that's the Butt Breaker because the trail bisects the hill and you go airborne over that section).  Sometimes its sad to see things changing in your childhood town.  Places you played while growing up are no longer there or changed so much you hardly recognize it.

I also threw in a photo of a parking meter from downtown.  River Falls has the cheapest parking meters I've ever seen.

cheap parking meter
  The first 12 minutes are free just by turning the handle (and still being a smaller town, friendly citizens turn handles on expired meters to save eachother a $2 parking ticket).  You get 12 minutes per penny.  Who even heard of a parking meter taking pennies?  I had a professor here explain that on his first day in town he and his wife scrounged their car looking for quarters for the meter.  And then they find out the meters don't even take quarters!  (The meters in the Cities, half an hour away, give you 15-20 minutes for a quarter).  I never thought much about these meters until I moved to the Cities and now pay more for parking.  But I still keep pennies, nickles and even a dime or two for the parking meters in town here.

LostInSpace2010 says:
ha ha it sounds so out of this world, like time is stopped (I mean those hilarious parking meters) =)
Posted on: Aug 13, 2010