Lake Wissota State Park

Lake Wissota Travel Blog

our campsite

I joined my parents for a night of camping at Lake Wissota State Park, in west central Wisconsin.  I arrived late and the tent was already set up, so I went in and slept.  They had an electrical site next to the shower house, expecting to haul their pop-up camper here.  But a red squirrel wrecked the interior of the camper over the winter and the damages were so bad they had to get rid of the camper.  So instead they had a new tent set up.  The site also had a picnic table, campfire ring, and shortcut path to the bathroom.

The next morning, my parents and I took a walk down part of the Lake Trail, which runs behind the campground.  We saw an old effigy mound, built by the Woodland peoples hundreds of years ago.

picnic and beach area
  You wouldn't normally be able to identify it without the sign pointing it out.  It was humid and sticky, so we didn't walk too far down the trail.

After our short walk, my parents left for the country music festival and I continued exploring the park.  There are lots of great features here.  The park is built on the man-made lake.  There is a nice picnic area, playground and beach house down by the beach area.  A little farther down is the boat launch and fishing pier.  I didn't go swimming, boating or fishing.  I stopped back up and took a short walk on a prairie trail, then checked out the horse trailer parking area.  There were a ton of people with horses there enjoying the many miles of horse trails in the park.

I continued on up to the scenic overlook, view a nice view of the lake.  I walked on a horse/hiking trail a little bit that wound through the woods.  It was a nice little trail.  I spent a few hours hiking and wandering around here.  You do have to pay to enter Wisconsin State Parks, and since my license plates are out of state, I had to pay more than residents.  I ended up buying a yearly sticker, figuring I would just need to visit 3 more times this year to pay for the sticker.

rotorhead85 says:
Great blog, great state - congrats on the Feature!!
Posted on: Jun 26, 2012