Fourth of July fun

River Falls Travel Blog

great viewing spot

I have been going to my friend's parents' house to celebrate the Fourth of July for the last several years.  They always have a big barbeque (Wisconsin style), swimming, campfire and of course, fireworks!  I need to explain the Wisconsin barbeque, as my sister recently pointed out the difference between a Southern BBQ and what we consider BBQs.  Down south they have meat, and lots of it, smothered in barbeque sauce.  We grill out.  We have hamburgers, brats, hotdogs, and chicken on the grill.  These naked meats are then covered with ketchup, mustard, sauerkraut, pickle relish and sometimes barbeque sauce.  We often have corn on the cob, potato salad, potato chips, coleslaw, fresh fruit, veggies and dip, baked beans, with cookies and bars for dessert.

kids at heart
  The food is a little lighter, but perhaps we eat more of it.

It wasn't warm enought (for me) to go swimming this year, which is rare for July here.  The younger kids swam while the older ones ate and drank.  The food was delicious.  There were a lot of people here this year, so some of the food was potluck style (bring a dish to pass).  As it started to get darker, people all over the county began setting off their fireworks.  It is legal to have fireworks that shoot into the air in Wisconsin, so we had some very professional fireworks.  We all set up our lawn chairs at the top of the driveway near the house.  The driveway sloped down to the road and the fireworks were set off in a flatter spot near the bottom.  They had to file for a county permit, by the way.  The fireworks were fantastic.  Several, large, colorful fireworks burst open, lighting up the sky.  Smaller fireworks formed fountains lower to the ground.  We all played with sparklers as if we were 5 years old again.  It has become an annual tradition that I look forward to every year.

not dark enough