Island hopping

Burano Travel Blog

Our island hopping trip started at San Marco, getting on the waterbus LN. This is going to Burano via Lido. We didn't have much time to get off in Lido, so we just stayed on the bus (it was more like a ferry, really) and enjoyed the sights. The water of the lagoon has such a beautiful coulour...a milky, light blue. It takes about 45 minutes to get to Burano, or maybe even an hour, I din't time it :)

It looked pretty nice from the distance already and it had one of those nice leaning bell towers as well. You see them all over Venice, it's funny.

Burano is famous for their lace and I'm telling you, you can find loads! Umbrellas in all sizes and I mean all :), handkerchieves, napkins, tablecloths.

..you name it. They have a good asortment of masks and Murano glass as well though.There's a few restaurants as well but not many stalls where you can just buy a sandwich. We have found one near the waterbus stop that had 'Fish & Chips' written on a blackboard outside. They had a good selection of sandwiches and some fried food. I got mixed fried fish for €6.50 and it was very nice. The sandwiches were lovely too. I have only found one public toilet there and they charged 1 Euro!!! Madness...

Anyway, Burano is a beautiful place. There's not much to do but it is a lovely place to have a stroll around. The houses are gorgeous and they're all painted in different colours. It is the most colourful place I have seen so far. We didn't go over to Torcello at all. You can get the waterbus from Burano over there. It is very frequent but we had arrangements to go to a concert that evening and time was precious.

Burano