Cologne april18-20

Cologne Travel Blog

Finally I planned a trip to Cologne to visit a friend I haddend seen in a few years.

It's is very easy to get to Cologne by train. The ICE takes you there in just over 2 hours, from Utrecht. I arrived at  the HBF just after 9 PM. When you step out of the station you're right in front of the big church. It's very big and nicely lit at night. We took the bus to my friends house and never stopped talking, really. We had so much catching up to do.

On saturday we visited the church and I climed the tower, which is a good morning excersize:-) The view was oke. The weather was not that clear. Inside the church it was very busy with people talking and taking pictures. If it's more quiet you can take in the feel of the church better. Still it was pretty impressive. Very high ceilings and not much decoration.

We also went to the Cologne city museum. It was not very interesting. So after this visit we needed some adventure and walked to 'Globetrotter'. It is the biggest and most exciting outdoor store I have ever seen. We spent about an hour and a half there. There is a rainroom, a jellyfish tank, travelbookstore, a cold room(-19 degrees), a pool for divinglessons and canoe testing and offcourse all the outdoor equipment you can think of. We saw people get there first diving lesson. We went into the coldroom and yes, it was very cold!

It was allready 8 pm when we left the store and walked back home. The streets of Cologne are very pleasant to walk. Nice buildings and the atmosphere is friendly. You can also do some serious shopping here.

On sunday morning we went for a bikeride along the Rhine river. The weather was nice and after some cycling we had tea at a nice boat house. In the afternoon I took the train back home.

This was a very nice weekend break. Cologne is much closer to Rotterdam than I thought. And if you book your ticket early, a round trip can be as cheep as 50 euro's!

Just a couple of days at work and than I'm of for another trip!