Sevilla Travel Blog

When I got off the plane, I was irritable, tired and cranky. But that soon all changed with a couple of hours in this city. Granted, the birds seemed to enjoy using me as a pooping target, but maybe that was a good luck charm because I had the most fantastic time here and completely fell in love with the place. The weather was just gorgeous, and I remember breathing a sigh of relief as I got outside and felt the heat hit me, made me think how much I missed warm weather!

The sun set very late and as a consequence I could make use of the hours of night to wander around and check out the sights. In some ways, seeing Catedral y Giralda lit up at night is just as beautiful as seeing it against a backdrop of endless blue sky. The crooked back streets of the city are confusing, but even if you get mildly lost (which I did - lots!) it´s still sort of pleasant.

In fact, you probably come across things you never expected to see. Even if you get horrendously lost (yup, did that too), you´ll eventually come across some landmark or helpful local who will steer you in the right direction.

The rooftop terrace at my hostel was perfect for relaxing during siesta, baking in the heat and snoozing in comfy chairs. I ate lots of tapas, which was delicious, and found the city to be fairly affordable. One curiosity is that the locals tend to drop the "s" off the end of their words, made me sort of think I had been speaking Spanish completely wrong (probably I had anyway).

Lots of beautiful squares in this city too, usually with a picturesque fountain as a centrepiece, and the gardens of the Alcazar are not to be missed. You could spend ages wandering in them, they seem to go on forever, in a pleasant way of course! I could spend a month in this city, and I definitely want to go back sometime.

1,025 km (637 miles) traveled