Barcelona Travel Blog

I cannot believe how much sangria and tapas we consumed in this trip. It was awesome. The weather was fantastic, and we spent many a relaxing hour by the sea chatting, with the requisite glass of sangria in one hand, watching the world go by. The city is bustling and beautiful, there is a sense of life everywhere, yet there is also a lot of old european charm in this city.

The Barri Gotic is a wonder to walk around and get lost in, you won't fail to find some fantastic feat of architecture, or some amazing funny graffiti. I loved it how you could just wander into a square, think it looks familiar and realise that it is actually THE cathedral or something. We were lucky to be passing through during a Festival, where they built human towers. Sounds un-civil, but actually looked like lots of fun!

We went out to Mont Juic, where they have a lovely roundabout and massive buildings, but the real star of the show is the huge fountain that puts on a colourful water display at night.

We stuck around to watch it and discovered the best paella of our trip at this little cafe close by the roundabout. We unfortunately didn't take down the name, but it was amazing (and apart from sangria and tapas, we formed a paella fetish so we ate LOTS of it during the few days we were there).

Everyone also goes to La Sagrada Familia, the famous church by Gaudi. It's certainly different, and I didn't expect it to be as creepy as it was up close; the carvings are sort of macabre and I was glad we weren't there at night...alone...! Seen from a distance, it has an eerie beauty to it, somewhat spoilt by the ever-present scaffolding but one can't escape that these days, and the atmosphere of the place is still the same. The carvings on the back of the church is far more disturbing than the front...

People in Barcelona are kind, and outrageously friendly. My friend and I had no problems getting around with our extremely limited grasp of the language, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Definitely one of my favourites!

1,025 km (637 miles) traveled