Hvar Travel Blog

 › entry 89 of 92 › view all entries

This morning we got up, packed and headed to the marina. Purchased our ferry tickets from Split to Hvar and went to a nearby cafe for a coffee. It was 11 when we got on the ferry with all the other travellers heading to Hvar or beyond. It's a quick smooth trip which was good considering our bad luck with boats and waves.

Hvar is such a beautiful place, lots of old buildings crammed together rising up a hill next to the marina, a huge castle set on top of another hill overlooking the town. Perfect place to chill and relax for a few days in he fantastic sunshine. Just what we've been waiting for.

We grabbed our bags and walked up what felt like heaps of steps but really wasn't that much.

The owners of the apartments welcomed us in along with the others that were checking in and were on the same ferry. The owners are very friendly and welcoming and they even rearranged the rooms so that we got a double bed instead of the 2 singles.

We dropped our bags in the apartment, changed into our bathers and headed down to the marina. It was about 1.30 and we were a bit hungry so we stopped into a pizzeria and grabbed a pizza to share. A short walk later and we found the small pebble beach and took our place on the pebbles in the sun. Unfortunately the water didn't look as clear as it was around near the rocks and there was a fair bit of rubbish floating around so Bec chose not to got for a dip, but Craig did.

As it was quite hot the swim was very refreshing and thankfully the rubbish wasn't everywhere so after wading in the water cleared up and was nice to swim in.

Most of the afternoon was spent lying on the beach, getting some sun and rest.

Tonight was the big semi-final match between Croatia and Turkey so everyone was out and about so that made trying to find a place to eat very difficult. We managed to nab a table at Bounty when we saw some people moving on. Unfortunately the restaurant wasn't showing the game, but the bar next door had some screens outside and we managed to watch it on that. Once we finished we got up and moved on not wanting to stop others from getting a meal.

On the way back through the square we saw heaps of people all standing around cheering every so often. When Croatia kicked the goal the place went crazy with flares being let off and even someone with some small fireworks. It all came to a sudden halt when Turkey responded with their goal. After penalties it was even more quiet. Would have been great to see them win because the place would have gone crazy.

Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
photo by: shell3737