World Finals!

Lake Havasu City Travel Blog

Well our trip was cut short sadly. Sometimes you find that traveling with friends is wonderful and sometimes it just doesn't work out. I decided after a bit of unnecessary drama that I would come home early and save my vacation time for more happy times and hopefully save some very valuable friendships in the process. I stayed long enough to watch Eric race which is alway thrilling, the smell of race fuel the engines roaring everybody anticipating the start, all very exciting. In the qualifying race there were 21 racers (which is a lot too many usually they break it up but this year they decided not to) before they made the first lap 3 jet ski's had wrecked leaving one racer with a broken arm and causing the race to be red flagged (re-started). This is the point where true panic sets in for me cause really I'm the girlfriend and after last year watching Eric get t-boned and ending up on the back of another boat I know just how dangerous this sport can be. They get a clean start for the second attempt at a qualifier and Eric knows full well that they are taking 18 racers for the finals so he sits back and takes his time you'd think he was out for an afternoon cruise not actually racing to qualify (alright a bit dramatic but he wasn't pouring it on like normal he let the leaders fight it out and didn't get in the middle of all the fighting for first in a qualifier where everyone was qualifiying. Good thing he did because 3 more jetski's end up wrecking and being pulled off the course. By the first moto I'm officially freaked there are 15 racers who actually showed up to the line and Eric took 11th of these racers not bad since he moved up a class this year and is racing against guys from around the world. Really an impressive showing this year from Kuwait, Japan, Australia, England, Canada, and on and on. For the second and final race he was one spot behind his friend and rival Robert so he laid it on since he really needed to do well in order to be in the top 10 which is really what he wanted. He stepped up to the challenge and after some serious rubbing with another racer (which included damage to his jetski and leg) he managed to beat Robert and come in with a 9th overall finish and Robert brought home 10th which is great because they both are 1st time World Champion jetskiers!

Havasu shocked me with it's weather this year, i'm not sure why I've been there so many times but I was expecting weather similar to Las Vegas, perhaps a bit warmer but certainly not 20 degrees warmer. We arrived at night so didn't notice but Saturday afternoon it reached 104 and man it was killer, we thought we'd left summer behind, October isn't suppose to be this hot! The water temperature was perfect and the sunsets Havasu has to offer are stunning!

The World Finals site is great it is close to everything and the announcing staff makes sure you are involved in all the action. It really is a great event it you ever get a chance to check it out, I recommend it. Go for pro weekend, it's the last weekend and you will get to see what the best in the world can do. They have freestyle guys who will blow your mind. Havasu also offers a great night life, fun bars, clubs and food. It's only about 2.5hrs from Vegas or Phoenix so it's convient either way you look at it.