My favourite place in Vietnam.

Hoi An Travel Blog

The centre of Hoi-An consists of lots of colonial style buildings often painted in warm colours and adorned with flowers and draping vines. There’s no billboard advertising or chain stores, and motorised vehicles are forbidden near the marketplace. This all adds to the ‘old world’ feel, which in truth is more of a ‘not real’ world feel, because most of country is nothing like this.

I spent the majority of my time in Hoi-An with Katie; together we walked the streets planning a) What to buy for school (chalks, stickers, pens….) and b) What to eat. Eating is quite a big part of Hoi An culture and we found two excellent restaurants Tam Tams & Cargo Club, both of which had the whole French colonial style décor vibe down pat & served delicious fresh fish dishes with brilliant French wine. (Plus a killer Sangria)

In total I spent 6 days spread over 3 weeks in Hoi-An and my presiding memory will be of a little old lady who continually squatted on the top step of an art shop smoking what looked like a joint. Every single time I passed the spot, she’d be there, all grizzled & small, with her fat, white rollie clasped firmly between her teeth, at varying lengths of consumption.

She seemed happy.