Road Trip day 3

Nelson Travel Blog

We flew in & out of Nelson, so I really can’t say anything about the place, other than the bits we did see between arriving & leaving seemed very charming. I've made a vow to come back again one day (when I’ll also see Wellington, Dunedin & Christchurch too)

Australasian Coincidence 3

For the last night on the trip we treated ourselves to a meal at the best Restaurant in Nelson called The Boatshed. The others excitedly ordered up $100 lobsters & crayfish & chilled white wine. Being the impoverished traveller, I was looking forward to a $6 green salad starter, followed by a $6 fries-on-the-side main course, complimented with free table water. Whilst avoiding the outright contempt of the waiter and derisive glances for the kitchen, I spotted a girl walking through the door & I could swear I recognised her.

I know that girl!! I whispered to the guys.

Where from?

Don’t know; think I may have worked with her once somewhere.

In London?

Maybe, don’t know.......No it’s not coming forward, I’m not going to remember.

If you forget about it, it’ll come. says Jonny.

I waited, I didn’t forget about it & it didn’t come. So I went over to her table & said:

Excuse me, are you from the UK?

Y-es?? She said without a spark of recognition.

I knew I knew you, I said But I can’t think where from?

Her faced brightened…Tasha? Yes? It’s Sue from Uni!

Sue, yes of course.

Sorry I didn’t recognise you, she says, Your hair got longer (which was a kind way of not saying You got fatter)

Yes, I say, tugging my hair downwards as if to prove the point.

Sadly, I then learnt that Sue’s partner had recently died, and she was here with her mum because it was just too hard for her to be at home. It was heartbreaking to hear her story and it really bought home the harsh and unjust reality of life. (Something that the escapist nature of globetrotting occassionally tricks you into forgetting) Sue remained upbeat as I guess you have to, and we swapped e-mail addresses & promised to keep in contact.

glennisnz says:
Oh seems you missed the best part..... Marlborough.... my territory, still Nelson is nice as so is the Boatshed if you have heaps of cash.
Do include Blenheim in your next trip, if only for the wine, we have the worlds best Sauvignon Blanc, it is second to none! I promise!
Posted on: Jan 25, 2008