Yangshuo, China

Yangshuo Travel Blog

Breakfast, Yangshou

We got up fairly late as we had no real plans apart from doing some cycling around the town, but the first thing to do was to get to the bank to retrieve Fab’s card - a simple enough procedure - lasting only 10 minutes. Lunch was the next thing on the agenda. We wandered through West Street in search of a cheap and tasty looking menu. We eventually found one, where we both ordered a beef dish, some rice and a couple of mango juices. The food came and it was amazing. The dish I ordered was delicately spiced, and the meat so lean it fell apart in my mouth. Fab’s dish had a more Mexican spice to it, but it was also very tasty, and the thick sauce was contrasted with cruchy red and green bell peppers (with a few sneaky chilli peppers thrown in there too).

After lunch we headed back to the hostel and got some bicycles. Fab had a nice black bike with a bell and one fully working brake, and I had a fancy silver bike with no bell but two brakes!

We carried the bikes down the stairs and headed off.

Breakfast, Yangshou
Naturally, Fab zoomed off ahead, leaving me trailing behind.  Unlike Fab, I hadn’t ridden a bike for at least 10 years - but like they say “it’s just like riding a bike”, and I soon caught up - despite being a little less confident than he.

We left the main town and headed into the countryside. It was nice seeing the scenery from outside a bus and we stopped occasionally for photo opportunities. We stopped for an ice cream at a place with appeared to be a butterfly cave, but we didn’t go in (partly due to the fact that I left most of our cash in our room.)

We continued along, passing the river, fruit vendors and rice fields. If you visit Yangshuo and do not rent a bicycle, you are seriously missing out.

Breakfast, Yangshou
As we reached another town, I realised the sun was setting and we should probably turn around. I spotted a road sign that said we were 10km away from Yangshuo in a town called Gaotian, so we estimated it would probably take us around 35 minutes to get back, thus avoiding cycling at night.

The journey back was partly uphill, which was tiring, but it was a greatly enjoyable day. I used my heart rate monitor and discovered that we had used 800 calories during our ride, so knowing this, looked forward to our hearty homecooked meal that would be provided for us.

Upon arrival back at the hostel we showered and had a rest before dinner was ready. We were served the local specialty of ‘beer fish’, tomato and egg, and a green bean dish, with rice.

It was a good meal and we finished it satisfied and happy.

Mr Li was constantly talking about his hostel rating on Hostelworld.com during dinner, and insisted that we write our review in front of him. Fortunately, upon logging on, we discovered that we had to wait 24 hours after check out before we could review it. It would have been awkward to discuss it in front of him.

Mr Li gave us our train tickets, which were pretty expensive (£27 each - pushing us over our daily budget), but at least we were in opposite bunks, and it was a good quality night train.

We had another wander around town, where Fab enjoyed a chocolate ice cream sundae for dessert, and I looked at the different kinds of gift items to buy. After a while of wandering we headed back to the hostel to get ready to pack up and check out the next day.

Butterfly cave, Yangshuo