Yangshuo

Yangshuo Travel Blog

Yao village

We had a absurdly early start considering our traditional lazy wake up days, 6:15am was not easy or fun but necessary for us to get to the rice fields which was unbeknowingly three hours bus ride away. We knew Mr. Li had planned a meal for us but he was nowhere to be seen at 6:30am so we decided to head off to McDonalds for a McBreakfast. I ordered an egg McMuffin and gave Lexi my hash brown (BTW we went there because nothing else was open or fast) as I do not like them. We got it to go and wandered back to the hotel to make sure we were not late. When we arrived I had just finished my meal and there was Mr. Li with breakfast number two. I did not mind as it was very tasty if not a bit spicy for my delicate tongue but Lexi loved it. It was just simple noodles with some flavouring.

Yao village
Not long later we waited out front for the bus to pick us up, it was not a long wait as buses went past frequently doing loops of the town looking for passengers.

The bus ride being long was annoying but more so as it actually stopped in Guilin, the place we had previously been staying, this meant we could have paid a cheaper fare and simply went when we were staying there. Putting that behind us we simply waited out the rest of the journey. Some extremely unnattractive Russian ladies (beauty is in the eye of the beholder) got on the bus, the least attractive of all plumping her overweight self beside me. I do not mean to be mean but I will be as I was not pleased.

Yao village
A few minutes into the journey the evidently prematurely balding woman had fallen into an ugly slumber and insighted a feared prediction of her sleeping on my shoulder. Mystic Meg would have been proud of my prediction as reality sunk in and her head started leaning towards my shoulder, not long after contact was made, instantly pulling away my shoulder she slightly woke but instantly fell back asleep and repeated the process. Every time getting closer and closer, I ended up half off my seat and half on Lexi’s trying to avoid the alopeciad head of the sleepy Russian as it got closer and closer like a bad horror novel. Eventually I got a little irritated and kind of shouldered her awake. As she awoke I snuck my shoulder aside hers upright so she could not lean into me, the plan succeeded and I remained only breifly worried for the rest of the trip.
Yao village

We had a small pit stop for a bathroom break, I decided not to risk anything and went for a slash as the toilets up a rice field might not be so luxurious. I turned the corner into the men’s room to see a man crouched down in the non-western toilet clearly having a dump. Not a nice sight and as I found out there were no stall doors, fortunately I was just peeing. Now, I am a complete hypocrite when it comes to bad smells, everyone should be able to tolerate mine but I should not have to tolerate any0ne elses. Being mid pee, I was disturbed when I was slapped in the face with the smell of the man I had previously seen evacuating his bowels, a short note must be made that the toilet was just two undoored cubicles that were small enough to clearly see over the walls.

Yao village
Underneath these was a trench with a slope which is what you aimed for, both stalls trenches were actually one, I was on the lower part of the slope. This meant after I was rudely slapped in the face I was greeted with the sight of the prior mans faecal matter sliding underneath me, I did not stay much longer. I made my exit hastily and washed my hands in the basin that was thankfully outside. Lexi and I bought some drinks and got back on the bus. A good while later we arrived.

The first stop was a small village belonging to the Yao tribe whose women grew their hair from birth only cutting it once at age 18, they believed that long hair meant long life, which was a bit of a correlation by causation I guess. We had been advised to avoid the show as it was not worth the money so we did.

Yao village

There was an amusing moment getting to the village as we had to cross a small river, the bridge was a simple rope and wood concoction which wobbled greatly. Lexi was not pleased as I tried to wobble it as hard as I could every time we crossed it. So during the show we got to wander around the village and across another wobbly bridge, the place was not very big, certainly not as big in comparison as some of the spiders we saw. One in particular caught our attention as it hung in the sky grotesquely. After gawping for about 5 minutes in disgusts we moved past it and turned around to find one twice the size of the previous, I nearly dropped a brick. I actually got some footage of the beast as it trapped a dragonfly, nothing is pretty. A little after the show finished the rest of our group joined us.

Yao village

We had to get onto a local bus which cost not very much, about six yuan, to get near the top of the mountain. The bus took us up the winding roads and near some very dodgy looking edges, I once again tried to scare Lexi into believing we would rock off the cliff or a landslide would take us. We safely made it to the  end of the bus journey. This was not the top of the mountain but near, it would be about another twenty minutes walk to the top. the view was already pretty astonishing. The fact they had built their way up here was amazing but even more so at the houses and restaurants they had built aruond the top. We walked our way up narrow stairs each minute the view getting better and more beautiful than the last. Half way up we stopped at a restaurant for lunch, neither Lexi nor I was hungry which probably had something to do with us having no money too so we simply kept moving.

Yao village
Making our way through the narrow builing openings and small stairways we got near the top and the rain gently started to come down, which was natural considering how high up we were, ideal for the rice. When we finally reached the top we rewarded ourselves with some ice creams and drink. We sat for a while before deciding to make our way down to the bus.

On the way down near the bus stop we saw a small ginger fluff ball outside a stall, it was a tiny kitten we appropriately named Miger, which stood for mountain tiger, after Lexi finished aww’ing we snapped a few photos and kept on our way. We waited at the bottom for our group and then got on the bus back down. Once down we got back on our tour bus to go home, we again had to stop in Guilin but fortunately the Russians did not sit near us and got off there.

Yao village
This meant the entire back row was free for Lexi and me so I went to sleep. I woke up when we arrived back in Yangshuo, we needed to get to an ATM to pay for our bus tickets to KunMing . For some reason every single ATM did not work, we walked around for about an hour trying about 8 ATMs none of which worked. One had actually told me to wait 30 seconds before removing my card, I did as I was told and 30 seconds later it retracted my card and printed out a reciept saying if I wanted it back I would need to go intot he bank which was closed. Lexi and I have 3 cards for our accounts so fortunately we weren’t without cash. We went to our hotel and the guy at the desk advised us where another ATM was, we set off and fortunately this one worked.
Yao village
We bought some food and headed back to the hostel to pay for our train tickets. After that we decided to get some food.

We headed out to a dumpling place we had seen earlier as we had not eaten any yet. I ordered prawn dumplings and Lexi got vegetable, both were very delicious, we also tried some rice wine which we discovered was past its use by date which seems to be a regular occurance but it was still delicious. After dinner we headed back to our hotel for some sleep, it had been a long day so sleep came easy
yheleen says:
i can imagine the fun you had while crossing the small river with wobbly bridges ;)
Posted on: Dec 10, 2009
Yao village
Snake skin in the river; Yao villa…
Snake skin in the river; Yao vill…
Yangshuo