Pingyao Travel Blog› entry 41 of 111 › view all entries
The next few days were spent relaxing and enjoying the sights. Pingyao is a great place to chill out and just enjoy being in China. You can buy a ticket which costs 120RMB and gives you entrance to any of the main sights in Pingyao. It is valid for two days and is worth doing if you’re spending the night there (which you should definitely do!)
Besides wandering around and seeing the sights here’s some of the things we did:
- Bought our train tickets to Beijing with my limited Chinese language skills - but we had to stay another night in Pingyao as there were no train availability on the 17th, our preferred date of departure.
- Ate at some great restaurants trying some local specialties including an amazing chicken and garlic dish with some more delicious egg fried rice on the second night.
- Saw the first real rain downpour, which made the tourists temporarily disappear and the dust covered roofs reveal their beautiful coloured tiles.
- Ate lots of little pastry cake things (as above).
- Bought a few souvenirs and discovered how expensive the gifts are there and unwilling to negotiate the vendors are. Don’t wait to buy souvenirs in Pingyao unless you’re willing to haggle hard and/or pay more than the worth of the item.