AsiaChinaKunming

Kunming, China

Kunming Travel Blog

Shredded chicken and carrots with noodles in a chilli plum dressing and beansprouts ginger and coriander with chilli.

We arrived in Kunming at around lunchtime and were collected from the station and taken in a taxi to the hostel. The hostel was really nice with a pool table, table tennis table, big bar area with a huge DVD c0llection.

We checked in and went up to our room, which was simple but nice. We were disappointed to find that we did not have any air conditioning or even a fan, and that we were on the 4th floor (and the bathroom/toilet was on the 3rd floor). We chucked our stuff down and headed out for the day.

As we wandering around town we bought some water and snacks and came across this guy with serious what looked like burns all over his body. He was sat begging on the street and it looked like something out of a horror movie.

Shredded chicken and carrots with noodles in a chilli plum dressing. Beansprouts, ginger and coriander with chilli. Spring rolls filled with vegetables and prawn.
It was really horrific.

We continued on and found a restaurant which had pictures of the items on the menu advertised (when travelling in China you tend to look out for restaurants which show photos of the food - without that you will get a menu with Chinese characters and have to make a lucky point and guess for your dinner).

After hovering in the doorway waiting to be noticed (as the restaurant didn’t appear open), a waitress came over and seated us. She handed us a menu with the photos of the food, and we pointed out the best looking three items on the menu. When I ordered mine, the waitress said something to me “lajiao“, which at the time, I didn’t understand. I repeated it to her in an effort to grasp some meaning from it, and she nodded, so I nodded back and she laughed.

Our hostel encouraged graffiti

Our food was served shortly after and it looked exactly the same as the photos! It was amazing food, but it wasn’t long before we found out the meaning of the word she had said to me… it means ‘chilli’. She was warning me that it was spicy, and I nodded vehemently agreeing with her. Fab’s dish was a cold noodle dish with shredded chicken and carrot on the top, with a fiery chilli sauce under the noodles. My dish was raw ginger and carrot marinated in garlic and raw chilli, topped with chilli sauce. The dish we shared was miniature crispy spring rolls filled with minced meat, and it was the only thing not doused in chilli! It was a relief from the fire in our mouths.

After we finished eating (gave up) we asked for the bill and the waitress brought it over.

Our hostel encouraged graffiti
For 3 dishes plus two bottles of coke, it only cost 33RMB (£3.30). As Fab pulled the money from his wallet and handed her 30 RMB while he scrabbled around for the last 3; but before he had a chance to hand her the last few notes she’d taken the 30 and returned to the desk, seemingly happy enough. We were slighly confused but stood up to leave, half expecting to be chased out of the restaurant for the rest of the money.

We wandered out and down the street unaccosted. Laughing to ourselves at our super cheap meal. £3 for 3 dishes and two drinks. This was the way it should be every day!

After lunch we decided to get some snacks and drinks from Wal*Mart and head back to the hostel to chill out for the rest of the day. We played some pool and table tennis, and watched some movies. We met a nice British guy (who Fab thought was Australian - but to be fair he did look sort of like Jesse Spencer) and watched his movie on Britpop which was entertaining.

We headed to bed shortly after.

Shredded chicken and carrots with …
Shredded chicken and carrots with…
Shredded chicken and carrots with …
Shredded chicken and carrots with…
Kunming Hostels review
Modern, friendly and stylish with a relaxed feel.
Modern, friendly and stylish with a relaxed feel. This is probably the best way to sum up this hostel. We were collected from the train station fre… read entire review
Kunming