Hue to Hanoi, Vietnam

Hue Travel Blog

Today we did our usual wandering around waiting for time to pass before getting our night bus.

The bus was very different to the train, and the berths much shorter, so at 6'5", Fab was not very comfortable - neither was I. I’d say the length was no more than 5′8″ from very top to bottom, so anyone under 5′5" would probably be comfortable. The bus is set out with three rows of bunk beds facing fowards and fully reclined. Your feet go underneath the head section in the chair/bed of the person in front of you. When your seat/bed is inclined there is a space behind your seat where you can put your valuables when you sleep, as when you recline your valuables are literally underneath your head and inside your seat.

When you enter the bus you must take your shoes off. You are provided with a plastic bag to keep them in. This is all well and good, but frustrating when you chose to wear hiking boots with annoying laces!

The journey took around 13 hours, and we stopped 3 times for toilet/drink/food breaks. It rained most of the way there, but considering the virtually non-existent A/C, it made it slightly cooler inside the bus (in fact, at times I was really cold).

During the journey, as we were driving past the rice fields, through villages and over the hills, I looked out of the window at the star filled inky blue sky and thought to myself, "this really is the life". I was so happy and knew our journey was a success.

photo by: Paulovic