AsiaChinaBeijing

Our last stop before our return to The Green Diamond!

Beijing Travel Blog

Mike inside Tianamen Square

Well the title is slightly misleading as we do have one more stop in Hong Kong before our return to NZ but when a Chinese woman we were talking with called New Zealand the Green Diamond I just had to use it in a title!

Yes our time in China has been very interesting, it is certainly not the easiest of places to travel, in our opinion that is.  But it is worth it in order to see and experience the culture and sights on offer.  I do wonder though what this place will be like after the Olympics as at present we are certainly the token foreigners in many places!

Our trip has included trips to many of the major sites including a fantastic day at the Great Wall and the Summer Palace.  Luckily on this day our tour guide decided to pick us up at 7am rather than 8am as we were only at the wall for an hour before it began to pour with rain!  We couldn't complain though as we have had near perfect weather following us for two and a half months with only two rainy days that we can remember!!!!  Anyway we enjoyed the great wall.

At Bei Hai Park
  It was really steep at the part that we went to (1 km above sea level being the highest point) but the hard work was worth it as the views of the wall were spectacular, just like a post card snaking and weaving below us! Our tour guide on this trip had us in stitches all day saying things like, "Chinese newspaper says that teacher is ideal wife as she is tender and gentle so you have ideal wife Mike," which I have since reminded him, and "Our driver is the handsome, fat, strong man," right in front of the poor guy!  She also insisted on calling us babies even though Mike was actually three years older than her and I was only a few months younger! But it was great entertainment, especially seeing as it was raining.  We learnt throughout the day that the Chinese enjoy commenting on Westerner's choices of parnter and lifestlyle one example of this being a lady at the silk museum who told me that I was lucky as my husband "Didn't smoke.
The Great Wall, just half an hour after this photo was taken this part of the wall was full of tourists, and it was pouring with rain!!!
"

Another major highlight for us, not just of Beijing but of our trip, has been the Chinese Kungfu show.  Mike had to drag me to this one but I am so glad he did!  The show was a story of a young boy learning to become a monk.  It included amazing Kungfu, singing, ballet, acrobatics, special effects and drama all in one show, not quite as good as the elephants in Patong, but up there for sure!  It was truely amazing, what a discipline Kungfu is!

As this is my final blog for this journey I have to say that we have had an absolutely amazing time in all of the countries that we have been to.  We have learnt so much about ourselves, each other and the world!  Of course we have caught the bug now and want to travel again in the future but for the time being we are very happy to be returning to The Green Diamond as travelling really does make you appreciate what you have at home!

Beijing photos to come very soon!

At Bei Hai Park
The Great Wall, just half an hour …
The Great Wall, just half an hour…
Tea Ceremony