Gotta go back to Madrid

Madrid Travel Blog

I spent just one night in Madrid which was just enough time for me to realize that I needed way more time there.  When I planned my Spain trip, I planned out some time in Barcelona and Ibiza but left four days open afterwards to allow a little flexibility on the trip.   I always hit the ground and discover places that I haven't heard of but want to see, or I simply just have a simple change of heart and decide I want to be in one place rather than another.  Anyways, vacations should be relaxing and not about meeting rigid time schedules.  I knew that Barelona were going to be the focus of my trip since I was going with friends, but I still wanted to see Madrid while I was in Spain.  I was hoping to spend the extra days heading up to Madrid on ground with maybe a few nights there.   I purchased my plane ticket to Madrid the night before I left for Barcelona.  Rather than give me the usual e-ticket, the website had to mail me the tickets.  This was an incredible inconvenience which forced me into booking a hotel room the night before I flew out so I would have a place to Fed-Ex (at extra cost) my tickets to.

It was late at night and I was tired so I didn't put alot of research or thought into what part of Madrid I'd like to stay.  As every experienced traveler knows, it's best to be in an area where there are lots of places in walking distance or at least a short taxi ride away.  I am not sure what was going through my head when I booked my hotel, but I can only assume that it wasn't the walking rule.   I flew into Madrid and got a taxi to take me to my hotel.  Once again, not sure what was going through my head, but the hotel was pretty far from the airport.  After having my wallet stolen in Ibiza I could not afford any extra costs or unforseen expenditures.  I had one hundred Euros spending money for my trip from Ibiza to Madrid then Madrid to Wales.  So needless to say, an expensive cab ride did alot of damage to my travel budget.  The only good thing about the long cab ride was that I got to see a bit of the city.  Once I got to my hotel I did explore the surrounding area which was an odd mix of businesses and apartment buildings.  It looked like an older, established area so the architecture was very pleasant to see.

I would love to go back to Madrid, except this time I'd prefer to stay right in the heart of the city.  Madrid is a city rich in culture and history and one night in the suburbs is not even remotely satisfying.  This is one of a couple of mistakes that I made on my Spain trip, but I did manage to do a little sight seeing and see Madrid first hand.  Now I just need to plan a real vacation there!

photo by: vulindlela