Milan with the other B's!

Milan Travel Blog

I showed up in Milan the day after the Monaco F1, which I was incredibly lucky with. Some may say the weather sucked, but even if the downpour made for wet seats, it also made for a hell of a show. It was probably the most interesting F1 race at Monaco in a very, very long time.

Milan is a beautiful city with beautiful people and beautiful sights. The metro's easy to get around and the train station is the largest in Europe (it's absolutely cavernous). I spent my day by checking out the Duomo in the centre and picking up my opera tickets for the Teatro alla Scala, where I was going to see a show on the second night of my stay.

Once I tired of the centre (where I tried a Greek burger at McDonalds for lunch... it's like they forgot the cheese on a cheeseburger then added tzatziki sauce), I made my way on the metro to the B's house, where I was greeted by Paolo out front. Being seasoned hosts, I was treated to every luxury at the B's, and they made my stay memorable. I even watched a few episodes of 'Greek' with their computer.

I arrived on the Monday, and the opera was on the Tuesday. The performance was of two one-act operas: 'The Prisoner' and 'Bluebeard's Castle'. It lasted well into the night and I missed my rendezvous with Edouardo, Paolo's son, because of that. I felt like crap for it, but Edouardo's a very patient and forgiving guy, thank god.

We managed to meet up the next night, and via scooter (which is perhaps the most thrilling thing I've done so far in Europe), we got to a local bar where I experienced the wonders of Milan's happy hour. It works like this: you buy a drink that costs about 5E (they made some fantastic virgin cocktails, actually), and then you eat as much as you can from the lovely buffet that adorns the bar. Supper and a drink for about 5E: Edouardo and I agree, this would be a hit back in Canada. Keep an eye out for a 'milan-style' bar opening near you. The night was capped off with the best gelato I've ever had: it was at a small, unassuming place that I would have easily passed on by if it weren't for Ed. The flavours were intense and all-natural: each taste of the ice cream made you swear you were eating the thing it was made of (probably since it was actually made, fresh, of that thing). Pear was delicious, licourice tasted like the root itself, and hell, even their slurpees were fantastic.

It was a short stay, but it was a great one, and I owe that to the B's (and Pier, who put me in touch!), who showed me the side of Italy that tourists rarely get in touch with, and which I would have totally missed otherwise. Thanks a ton :)
photo by: williamsworld