Wycliffe Well to Alice Springs

Alice Springs Travel Blog

Flood waters
After a very quick trip (the kids behaved wonderfully well) which was quite interesting because it was wet and green (by which in a way I feel cheated), we arrived in Alice Springs at a reasonable time. This was good as the friend we were staying with, Jason (whom Merv went to school with) had to work that night and we didn’t think we would get there before he had to leave. Anyway, as it turned out we actually woke him up as he’d had a late night before… Jason works in the only casino in Alice, and does a lot of shift work.

When we arrived we had some time to chat before he had to get ready to go to work. I had only met him once briefly, and initially when he heard about me he didn’t quite believe I actually existed because he’d only seen pictures and they’re easy to fake! We also met one of his housemates, Angela, the other one is his brother whom we already knew. Jason had to leave to start work at 2pm, so after that we were on our own for a while. We unpacked, did some washing, and didn’t do much else that day really. We had dinner, and Darrin, Jason’s brother came home later that evening so we spent some time chatting with him.

The one bad thing that happened today is that when we drove into Alice Springs my phone finally had reception again so it soon starting beeping because of all the messages. Most of them from my mum. As it turned out my granddad in The Netherlands had died while we were travelling...

Ghan Railway