Kulgera to Coober Pedy

Coober Pedy Travel Blog

Another long boring road

We got out of Kulgera at a reasonable time, as there wasn’t really much to see. The next destination was Coober Pedy, which is described as the Opal Capital of the World, and the surrounding area as a moonlike landscape. The trip there was pretty boring, although not as dry as we had expected. The whole country seems to have had a lot more rain than normal, so we don’t see things the way they usually are. In a way I feel a bit cheated, but it is good to see the rain.

The closer we got to Coober Pedy, the more boring the scenery got. Then suddenly there were all these piles of white rocks and dirt, which are the stuff that came out of the mine shafts that were drilled for the opal mining.

Is that a bend in the road I see?
If you feel so inclined in some places you can do “noodling”, which means digging through this stuff to see if any undiscovered opals were left behind. Let me tell you that we didn’t…

When we got to Coober Pedy we first located our motel, which had the rooms dug into the side of a hill. They were actually preparing a few more rooms, which meant that some tunnels had been dug and they were now resting. It was a strange sensation to walk into the room, it is like walking into an air conditioned room when you come in from the heat, but they don’t even need fans! The room was huge, with two separate bedrooms and a full sized kitchen.

After we had unpacked we went into the town to have a look around, and we ended up having lunch in “The Dugout Café”, which is a café restaurant which is actually underground. Unfortunately Reagan spilled a bowl of tomato sauce all over herself so we ended up going back to the room and putting on a load of washing. Then we decided it might be easiest if Merv stayed “home” with the kids while I had a look in some opal shops and got groceries. The food didn’t look very appealing, so I ended up getting some burgers which we had on bread. Merv was going to bbq, but he said it would have taken longer to clean the barbie than it would have to cook and eat the food…

I would have liked to see one or two of the museums and more opal shops, but the rest of the town I don’t need to see again! That night it was back to packing and we left before eight the next morning.

The line marks the border crossing