Picknick

Landsmeer Travel Blog

Pick your boat

Summerdays, and the living gets easy. Daughter and I thought it a good idea to rent a boat and have a picknick in the marsh. So we went to the Ilperveld visitor's centre.

We wanted a rowing boat, which is - for us - the easiest to handle. Ofcourse it take some effort to row, especially with this "greenhorn"boats, but I was used to rowing when I was a child because we had our own boat.
We found ourselves a nice picknick spot at the "Braamstuk" - which was until a few years ago a marshy-woods, however for one reason or another (on purpose or accidentally) the wood was cut-away. So the biotope changed, reeds and peat-mosses take overhand. Positive side effect is that the sundews (Drosera) has returned, these carnivorous plants were nearly extinct in the area, and in my childhood I 've never seen them.

We walked the trail at the island, and got in our boat again to row a bit further to Oostkerkebreek, a small lake nearby. When there we sensed the weather was going to change, and as fast as we could we got back to the visitor's centre again, in case the rain could be accompanied with some thunder, in which case it is dangerous to be on the water. Luckily we made it with only a few drops.

Me handling the controls