Het Schouw Travel Blog

Here we crossed the canal on that little yellow colored ferryboat

We are enjoying a lazy holidays, doing not much, besides an incidental trip on bicycle in the own area, or a daytrip to a museum or something. As I said, just being lazy.
Husband longs to be on the water, and when we discussed what to do on our holidays, the idea of having dinner at a restaurant next to a lake or canal was born.

So I choose this place not far from where we live, but never have been before. We needed a ferry crossing to reach it, one of the things you have to deal with living in an area abounding in water. Ferry sails until 19.00, so we would have an early dinner, so when we would go home again we would be in time for the last ferry.

Off we went on our bicycles, for the 3 kilometre ride. I checked with the ferryman, or actually ferrywoman for the last ferry, she told me it would be 5 minutes before 19.00. It was just 17.00 so we were in plenty of time.
We parked our bicycles and found a place outside next to the canal. While we enjoyed dinner we also enjoyed watching all the boats passing by.

When we were finished and payed our bill we got our bicycles again but noticed the ferry was suddenly out of order. Enquiries learned us that something was wrong with the engine. Hmm... this means we have to go either by Ilpendam, where another ferry crosses the canal, or by Amsterdam, for a bridge to cross. After some thinking and figuring we realized Amsterdam was the closest, and thus we did. Instead of the short ride of 3 kilometres we now had to do over 7 of them. Positive thinking got us to the point we appreciate the free exercise after the plateful of food.

Here we crossed the canal on that …
Here we crossed the canal on that…
Het Schouw