On the road again....

Oroquieta Travel Blog

The bay area right behind the city plaza Oroquieta.

Last morning in Dapitan now. In a few hours we are going to move on to Oroquieta.

We had allready packed everything last night so everything would be ready. It proved to be a

very vise decsition, since we could take everything in very relaxed maners this morning. Went into

town to get breakfast, and then met up with Ronell who'd promised to help us get everything to the bus.

Dont forget we had two suitcases, a full balikbayan box, two large cans of biscuits and then some.

After breakfast we went for a stroll at the Plaza which I think is one of the most interesting one's in the world.

Not that it is huge but because it's simple and beautyfull in it's simplicity - and then the idea of makeing a map of Mindanao

cut in crass is I think extremely funny.

Oroquieta City.

From the Plaza we went along the bach to Gloria, which is Dapitan's nighttime enjoyment complex with everything from Cockfights to

bowling alleys. It's not much to look at during the day but heck , we've been there now, and suddently departure time was close, so we went back to the hotel, had a shower and loaded everything on a Pedicab (dont ask me how we did have 3 people and the enormous amount of baggage in one pedicab but we did :).

Was droped off at the "bus stop" and waited for about 30 minutes before it arrived. At this point I felt it like one hour because, it's not scheduled to departe on specific times, it just comes when it comes - and that feels like something you have to learn to cope with when you are used to busses departeing on the minute.

Rhovic's Place, Oroquieta.

The bus that arrived was not the airconditioned one and it was a very hot 3 hour drive to Oroquieta, But thank God we had loads of water along for the ride, and I have to say it is probably the most beautyfull bus ride I've ever taken in my life. Everywhere is steep mountain terrain, palmtrees and the Lake along the way, which I pressume is the Layawan Lake ( but not all to sure about that). I have to say that I was very impressed by this ride. Not even the spanish mountains comes close to this scenary.

Well arrived in Oroquieta we boarded a pedicab (for some reasons it seams like the pedicabs are getting smaller and smaller the further away we get, and my legs definately had a hard time adopting to this short size) to get to Hernies parrents place, and drop of the balikbayan box. We said hallo to his mother (who was the onley one home at this time) and then headed out to find a hotel.

Rhovic's Place, Oroquieta City.
First we tried the beach resort in the neighbouring barangay, but no such luck everything was booked...and later that proved to be lucky, as our next attempt was Rhovics Place in downtown Oroquieta.

We imidiately felt that the place was much better, not onley 500 Php cheaper pr. night but also much more comfortable and nice. Big room, bar and swimmingpool in the ground floor. And they had an available room for us.

After checking in, we made a fast change of clothes and went back to his parrents place. This time his farther had returned and allthough there was a big language barrier it was still possible to have a conversation, which I was very happy about and Hernie very surprised about.

Later that evening we decided to go back to the hotel, on Hernie's motorbike......Given the easyness of aquireing a drivers license in this part of the world I have to admit that I was a bit scared at first.

Rhovic's Place, Oroquieta City.
But he proved to be an excellent driver and at the same time I now realised what the fuss is about motorbikes in asia. Because I've allways wondered why everyone are driveing theese small motorbikes instead of buying a car(includeing a large number of tourists who rent them here), but quite frankly, after haveing experienced them for real now - I think that should I settle here myself then I would prefer a motorbike from a car. The speed is the same but they are much more flexible in trafic.

We spend the evening haveing a couple of beers (San Mig Light ofcourse this is the Philippines, right?) at the hotel bar while enjoying the live band that is on every night.....

The bay area right behind the city…
The bay area right behind the cit…
Rhovics Place, Oroquieta.