I'm queen of the rain today!

Tagaytay Travel Blog

Tagaytay from the Picnic Grove..not promising wheater.

hehe today has been some wicked day. When I was visiting Manila last year one of the places that I really wanted to go was Tagaytay just to see the Taal Volcano. So during my last visit I called a tour operator that I knew had tours to Tagaytay - but unfortunately they were not available the days that I was.

So this year I decided to go - and this time I just thought I'd take the bus, and since I had been informed that the bus would leave from Pasay and the hotel was situated right in front of the Pasay bus terminal I really thought that this was going to be piece of cake. But no bus there, that had a Tagaytay sign on it.

Picnic Grove, tagaytay.

Hmmm..decided to go back to the hotel and ask if they knew which bus to go on. They said either the minivan or the Batangas bus. Okay I went down again, and stoped when I noticed the Batangas sign, and then it happend. Some one asked me where I was going and I showed me to the minivan. He wanted 200 Php (probably Kona price but what the fuck consider it my contribution to charity, besides I wanted to go), and so we did about 30 min. later.

Then some 20 minutes before Tagaytay we were pulled over by the police who wanted to go through every single piece of paper the driver had. This took them about 15 or 20 minutes - and if you don't know how hot a minivan filled to the last seat can get when it's allmost 40 degrees and the motor is turned off, then all you have to do is to ask me.

I KNOW!!!

Well my worst fears did not come to life, we were allowed to proceed and did not have to walk, and thank God for that because I think that I would have melted away if I should wait another minute inside this van.

Hmmm..now we were aproaching Tagaytay and the driver dumped me infront of the local 7-Eleven. It did not take one minute before the first pedicab driver aproached me with an offer for a boatride. I told him no - I dont have the time for a boatride, I just want to see the view of the Volcano from here. He was disapointed, tried to convince me one more time with the arguement that there's really nothing to see from here. Well from my point of view that would neither give me more or less time, would it?

So finally he accepted and instead offered to drive me to the Picnic Grove for the outrageous price of 50 php, but okay I thought let's play along with the game and see what happens.

Tagaytay

So he droped me at the Picnic Grove and again I was aproached by people selling something. This time a horse ride in a paddock. I allmost laughed - after several years of rideing horses I did not see the point of paying overprice for a ride in a paddock. So again "Sorry dont have the time".

So finally past all the "salespeople" I could start walking around the park, take some nice shots, however still no volcano in sight, and two things started to come into my mind. 1).  clouds were very dark and 2). the entire lake was filled with a thick fog.

Hmmmm...the 2 L. of water I had consumed during the ride on the minivan started to beg to come out - so despite the fact that the rain had slightly started I bagan to run down the stairs when I noticed the sign "Comfort Room".

The entrance to People's Park in the Sky.
But SHIT, it was locked - and right then did I hear a voice calling "Here Sir" and when I turned I noticed a small human being from a distance pointing at another similar building. So I aproached, did what I had to do and went outside again. Now the rain was really pureing down, and the boy ( or well he was probably past the boystage but I allways have a hard time determining asians ages) was still outside - he'd taken shelter under the roof and I decided to do the same as I had no desire to get more wet then I really needed to be.

He introduced himself as Rey, tourguide - and just when he said that magical word my mind went "shit don't tell me that I'm stuck with another one untill the rain stops). But he acctually proofed himself to be very pleasant company - showed me his offer (which was acctually boatride and resort for 500 php less then what the other guy wanted for the boatride alone), and also told me a lot about the place, the volcano and the weather.

People's Park in the sky.
One of the really interesting things he told me was that it's been like this for a long time,. but when the rain stops, the fogg will go away aprox. one hour later.

Well after 30 min. I was like no matter how friendly, or interesting this guy is, then I have to get him off my back now - otherweise I never will. So the most polite way that I felt I could turn him down was to say that I really didnt have time to do the boatride today but I might return next week with my boyfriend - so if he wouldnt mind giving me his phone no. then I could call him when we decided. I knew we wouldn't be back next week - but what should I have done? Well he gave it to me and we parted. But I have to say that this was the most friendly, polite and professional aproach I had the entire day - so should we have come back then we would've gone for his offer.

View from Peoples Park In the Sky.
So if anyone want's the no. just let me know.

Even though the building had given a good shelter I was still quite wet and wanted to go inside - so I went for the coffee shop and had a couple of coffees. The rain had increased again so I decided that I could just as well stay for lunch...and so I did. Was acctually quite good and can easily be recomended.

Next destination was People's Park In the Sky, well the pedicab ride from the Picnic Grove to PPS was another 60 php. So I agreed and got there.

There's acctually a jeepney going from the front gate to the top, but I preffered to walk, not because I was afraid of getting riped off again but because I wanted to enjoy the view all the way up.

It's acctually an amazeing walk even in wet superhumid foggy wheater.

hehehe...it's allmost like Hollywood.
I even got to take some shots from the top of the unfinished palace. What I do think is a pitty is that not more has been done to keep the park in good shape, restore and finish the palace - because the view from here is amazeingly beutyfull - and now comes a tribute to Rey - when I reached the top a good part of the fogg had disapeared and I got to see and photograph the volcano. Not in a clear sight because it was still foggy but clear enough to see it.

Now having done what I originally came to do I decided to walk back and get a bus home., because I was soaking wet and in perfect condition for a major cold.

Back at the front gate I aproached the onley waiting pedicab, he wanted 100 php to get me to the bus. I tried to bargain it down to 70 but no way - he wanted 100 - and honestly - standing on a huge mountain, soaking wet and onley one available pedicab does not help me price bagaining - so as we stoped at the bus stop for Pasay - one lucky pedicab driver was 100 php richer.

People's Park In the Sky.

I keep wondering what those 3 rides would've cost if Hernie had been with me, but in all fairness they all charged more or less the same if you calculate the distances - but I still wonder.

I happend to get on the regular bus back home and what I thought was a bit funny was that this bus that went through Imus and charged me with 56 php was about 20 min. faster then the minivan that charged 200 and went through the expressway.

cax says:
yeah....but Ted, I know Tagaytay is a tourist spot - but still if you compare it for the useuall amount of 20 Php for about same distance and 3-4 people in Mindanao then it feels like a rip off :)
Posted on: May 26, 2008
ted332 says:
I think those rates they offered you for pedicab rides were just okay - not really expensive but not cheap either. If they'd say 300 - 500 pesos then that would be major rip-off! :)
Posted on: May 21, 2008
Tagaytay from the Picnic Grove..no…
Tagaytay from the Picnic Grove..n…
Tagaytay
The entrance to Peoples Park in t…
The entrance to People's Park in …
Peoples Park in the sky.
People's Park in the sky.
View from Peoples Park In the Sky.
hehehe...its allmost like Hollywo…
hehehe...it's allmost like Hollyw…
Peoples Park In the Sky.
People's Park In the Sky.
Peoples park in the sky.
Peoples park in the sky.
hehehe...Pineaple house :)
hehehe...Pineaple house :)
finally got my view over Taal
One wet and drowned me :)
One wet and drowned me :)
Look at the speed the fog moves o…
Tagaytay Sights & Attractions review
amazeing view...
Former President Ferdinand Marcos and his wife Imedla Marcos started building the Palace in the Sky, for the purpose of reciveing President Ronald Reg… read entire review
photo by: JeAr