Ypres and FLanders Fields

Ypres Travel Blog

This travel blog is about Flanders fields and the Belgian town of Ypres.  This was the site of 3 major battles in WW 1.  I’ve been there on 3 separate occasions.  The first time I was there was 13 May 06.  We took the driving route north and ended up east of Ypres hat Hill 60, Hill 62, and Hoodge Crater.  Then we decided to stay the night and then go up to diksmuide.   The second time I was there it was with my battle filed travel buddy.  We did the same things only this time we added a large German bunker, the Yorkshire trench. St Julien and Langemark German Military Cemetery.

Trench of Death, Diksmuide
  The third time I was there was with the family again and 2 of my buddies from out of town.  Did pretty much the same things but this time we added the Essex Farm where the Poem In Flanders Fields was written.  In the town of Ypres is the IN Flanders Fields Museum and The Menin Gate.   The Menin gate is a monument to the British missing and killer.  St Julien is a Monument to the Canadians that with stood the first gas attack.  Langemark is a very large German cemetery.  Hill 60 is some remains of the battle and near by there is the caterpillar crater.  A crater that is from miners tunneling under the German trench and trying to blow it up from beneath.  Hill 62 and Sanctuary wood has some remains of trenches and bomb craters.  York shire trench is of course another trench found in 1992 by accident.  Hoodge crater is yet another crater created by miners tunneling under the enemy’s trench and trying to blow it up.  These craters have been filled with water but there are some trench remains near by also.  Diksmuide is a town north of Ypres.  It has the Trench of death, one of the most well preserved trenches I’ve seen,  and I’ve see a few.  Diksmuide also has the Ijzertoren tower.  A tower that represents peace.

Hoodge Crater