Slieve League, marble arch caves and Belleck Castle

Ballina Travel Blog

The walk to Slieve League.

Let me just say that we were awakened at 5:15am by a schreeching bed and moaning and it sure as hell wasn't coming from our room. We were magically transported back to junior high and laid there and giggled and laughed until whoever was done, lol. At this point we decided to get up. We then spent breakfast trying to decide who the happy couple was.

We left the B and B and headed to Slieve League, the highest sea cliffs in Europe.You had to park and walk the last 3 miles due to some problem with the road, but I probably would have driven right off the cliffs anyway because there was so much to look at. We walked past a lake at 1,600 feet and watched sheep precariously perched on the side of cliffs.

A lake at 1,600 feet above sea level.
When we got to the top, my God what a sight. We again tried a timer picture which never did work out but again left us with some great pictures.

We stopped off at Belleck china and walked around the store and then headed to the Marble Arch Caves. The caves are really cool, there's an underground river that runs through the caves and you take a boat for the first part of the tour. The walk to the caves was like a trail and it was amazingly green. The only drawbacks to the caves was that we were stuck in a group that consisted of a bunch of teenagers, that refused to follow any rules. If the guide said don't touch, they touched, the guide said don't take pictures they took pictures so my patience was at an all time low at the end of the tour. I'm a juvenile probation officer in real life so my tolerance to adolescents is about nil, lol.

Daredevil sheep.
The inside of the cave was lit with different colored lights and with the stalagtites and stalagmites (is that how you spell that??)  all around if felt like we were on another planet.

We then  headed to our hotel in Belleck Caslte in Ballina. The castle was wonderful, all heavy wood, tapestries, candlelight sconces and huge fireplaces. It was basically everything a castle should be. We had reservations for dinner in the castle and althought was a splurge it was worth every penny. If you'll let me indulge a momemet :) I had roasted peppers and mozzarella in a puffed pastry for an appetizer, pasta with roasted vegetables as a main course and  chocolate petite fours for dessert. It was heaven. I even sent a postcard home describing to my parents what I had eaten that night, lol.

After dinner we explored the castle a little bit more accompanied by Jack, Rocky and Vahalla the castle Springer Spaniels. The only drawback to the castle were the many,  many, many, many steps to get to the room. I think it might have taken me about half an hour to get the monstrousity up the steps.

Aditu says:
It's hard to keep track of things when there's so many beautiful things to look at, lol. Thank you for the info and reading :)
Posted on: Oct 18, 2007
pauric_doherty says:
Hi there. Great review and great photos!! The pictures you have though are labeled for Ballina in Tipperary and Ballintra in Donegal. Lots of the photos you have taken are from North Donegal. Just for you reference if you are ever looking back at them again!
Posted on: Oct 18, 2007
hannajax says:
caves, castles, good food...dreamy! all my favorite past times. you should read about my stay in an italian castle, castle brandolino in cison di valmarino.
Posted on: Oct 03, 2006
The walk to Slieve League.
A lake at 1,600 feet above sea lev…
A lake at 1,600 feet above sea le…
More daredevil sheep.
More daredevil sheep.
A timer shot.
A timer shot.
Belleck China.
Belleck China.
The walk to the Marble Arch Caves.
The walk to the Marble Arch Caves.
I think this looks like a skull.
I think this looks like a skull.
More Marble Arch scenery.
More Marble Arch scenery.
Ballina