Rosses Bay, Bloody Foreland, Glenveagh Castle

Killybegs Travel Blog

Rosses Bay.

Today was the day I had been dreading; the day I had to put the car back on the ferry. It was a normal ferry day, I made everyone get up super early so I could be first in line at the dock. Evidently everyone who was leaving that day had the same plan though cause when we got there we were the third car in line. I swear it was a  different ferry because I didn't have nearly as much trouble getting the car on this day as I had the previous day. I mean I had the car on the ferry in like 10-15 minutes as oposessed to 45 AND I had to back in amongst 2 other cars!! I was tough to leave the lighthouse; it was so peaceful and isolated there. I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

We did a ton of driving and stopping for picture taking today and again the scenery was breathtaking.

Tory Sound.
I know I say that all the time but if you've ever been to Ireland you know what I mean and if you're planning on going you will. We drove past Rosses Bay, Tory Sound, Foreland Heights and the Bloody Foreland. We found a little dirt road down to Rosses Sound. We spent alot of time there and when you see the pictures you'll know why. Next it was on to Magheraroarty Beach. I guess I can add beaches to the list of our obsessions of sunsets, castles, and lighthouses cause if we saw any sign that said beach or mar we were there.

Our next stop was Glenveagh Castle and National Park, what a great place. The castle was originally owend by John Adair; the notorious landlord who evicted many Irish families after the famine. It was built in 1807, and it's last owner was an art dealer from Pennsylvania, which we found to be pretty cool. After we toured the castle we walked around the gardens and surprisingly the floweres were still in bloom.

We drove thru the Burren on our way to Killybegs and it felt like we were on another planet. There were big areas of limestone everywhere; it was an oddly beautiful place. We made it into Killybegs to the Oceanview B and B, which will forever remain in our memories for a reason that will be discussed later, just in time to see sunset!

euphemy says:
I awaken to hear you guys giggling and then I heard THE noise! lol That was so funny!
Posted on: Oct 06, 2006
Regor says:
The first time at anything is the hardest, and scariest. Just a few more times and you'll think nothing of it.
Posted on: Oct 01, 2006
Foreland Heights.
Foreland Heights.
Bloody Foreland.
Bloody Foreland.
The road to Rosses Sound.
The road to Rosses Sound.
Rosses Sound.
A moment of quiet contemplation.
A moment of quiet contemplation.
Glenveagh  Castle.
Glenveagh National Park.
Glenveagh National Park.
We;re not in Kansas anymore.
We;re not in Kansas anymore.
The Burren.