Ross Castle and Torc Waterfall

Kenmare Travel Blog

Swans on Lough Leane.

We left Lisdoonvarna this morning and headed towards Killarney; we drove up thru the lakes of Killlarney and then stopped at Ross Castle. We did a 2 hour boat trip of Lough Leane which included a stop at Innishfallen Island. The trip on the lough was really nice until the storm rolled in, because evidently we can't be on any body of water even a lough without rain and waves. Luckily the storm only lasted a bit and then cleared up again, gotta love the weather in Ireland. While we were on Innishfallen Island we also roamed around Innishfallen Monastery which sits on an island in the middle of the lough. Once we returned to land we toured Ross Caslte. The castle was built around 1420 and has the distinction of being the last Irish castle to be taken by Oliver Cromwell in 1653.

A black swan on Lough Leane.
  I really enjoyed the castle there was tons of information.

After we left Ross Caslte we decided to head to Torc Waterfall. We decided to drive since the last time Kerry and I decided to hike there through Killarney National Park, which resulted in us being lost in Killarney National Park for a significant portion of time. We got some great pictures, but the whole ordeal was fairly unpleasant,  lol. Torc Waterfall was really cool, sometimes you come across things listed as "waterfalls" and it's really just a trickle but this acutally had water cascading down rocks. There were also many trails around the waterfall area. Leann evidently decided that she was going to go on one of the trails and not tell us. We realized we didn't see her and started doing the bird calls.

Looking out at the Loch.
Leann and I made this bird call thing the first time we went away so we could call to each other if we got separated. It's kind of a cross between a crow and a hawk.....that's sick. Why wouldn't we just call each other by names if we were separated you may ask, I have no idea. Anyway, we were looking all around, doing the bird calls (to everyone's amusement around us) and nothing, no Leann. I started getting nervous and that soon turned into panic because how am I going to explain to her family that I lost her at Torc Waterfall, when I had already lost myself AND Kerry at Torc Waterfall on a previous trip?  Then all of the sudden here comes Leann all nonchalantly walking out of the woods, I yelled at her of course. Kerry and I then decided to make a mini movie out of the ordeal by reenacting the drama in a project we called the Torc Waterfall Project, instead of the Blair Witch Project.
Innishfallen Monestary.
It was kinda funny, at least to me and Kerry. Needless to say,  no one can watch our vacation video's because between my swearing while driving (nervous reaction to other cars on the road) and our little "docu dramas", it's either R rated or not funny unless you were there.

We got to the hotel in Kenmare and of course what is waiting outside, almost like he was waiting for me, but an adorable black cat. He must have gotten hit by a car at one point years back cause his tail was all bent and his hip was out of place but he was the cutest little guy. We ate at the hotel (I packed up meat and took it outside for Mr. Kitty) and then we headed to bed, Kerry and I figured we better give our liver's a rest.

hannajax says:
wonderfully descriptive and amusing blog. can you bring the torc waterfall project to our trip next september?
Posted on: Nov 20, 2006
Me at Torc Waterfall.
Me at Torc Waterfall.
The view from the hotel.
The view from the hotel.
Mr Kitty, isnt he adorable!
Mr Kitty, isn't he adorable!
Kenmare