Ring of Kerry and the mistaken bathroom

Kenmare Travel Blog

Views of the Ring of Kerry.

We decided this morning we were going to do the Ring of Kerry drive.We'd all done it on a previous trip but it was on a bus and we wanted to do the drive with the ability to stop when we wanted and where we wanted. We did spend most of the time driving but it was a nice leisurely day with no schedule and no specific place to be, which had not been the case recently.

We had made a town bathroom stop at one point in the day and to this day I am still amazed how virtually every town in Ireland has a public restroom. Anyway, we stop to use the facilites and Leann decides to stay in the car. Kerry and I went inside. Now this wasn't one of the nicest bathrooms I had been in but you're only in there for 2 minutes or so.

Views from the Ring of Kerry.
Now my first indication something might have been amiss should have been that the toilet seat was up, but I figured that the bathroom had just recently been cleaned (at 3:30pm, lol). Then I looked around the stall and found this lovely, classic poem (I'll omit certain parts)

"Some people come to sit and think"

"Some people come to _____ and stink"

"I just come to scratch my _____"

"And write my words upon the walls"

It then dawns on me that evidently I'm not in the women's room; so I get ready to yell to Kerry to tell her we need to get out of here when to my horror someone walks into the bathroom. I peek thru the crack in the door and sure enough there's a man with his back to me standing at the urinals. Urinals, now how the hell did we miss that on the way in, lol.

Views from the Ring of Kerry.
I opened the door and quietly snuck out feeling all relieved. That was until I noticed the white van sitting outside the restroom with the man in the passenger seat who was staring at me slack mouthed, I waved and got in the car. A couple of minutes later out walks Mr. Urinal and proceeds to get into the white van and then they both stare at the car. At this point Leann and I are crying with laughter. A minute later out saunters Kerry totally unaware of what just happened or what we just did. Of course I tell her and once she got over being slightly miffed at me for leaving her in there (I told her I paniced) we laughed, and laughed and laughed the rest of the day.

We got back to the hotel and who is waiting to greet us but Mr. Kitty from the night before. I brought him some meat out from dinner and then we headed to bed....I headed to bed I'm not sure what Mr. Kitty did :)

travelman727 says:
Your story shows that some of the most memorable moments from the Ring of Kerry can come from unusual places in unique ways!
Posted on: Nov 20, 2006
euphemy says:
I could not believe that we missed the sign! I guess we had to go very badly! lol
Posted on: Nov 18, 2006
Views from the Ring of Kerry.
The view to the Skellings.
The view to the Skellings.
Kenmare