Laundry on Arranmore Island

Ballintra Travel Blog

Arranmore.

I got to sleep in until 9am today, it was glorious. We had originally planned to take the ferry back across to the mainland and do some sightseeing but then we decided to just do the sight seeing on Arranmore. I told them I didn't care but secretly I was VERY excited that I would have a break from the ferry for the day. We really did a whole lot of nothing today which was exactly what we needed. We drove around, hiked and decided that since we had a washer and dryer to do all of our laundry. Well, all of our laundry turned into 1 load, not 1 load each but 1 load total. Evidently, there are differences between washers and dryers in Ireland and in the US, or at least differences between washers and dryers on Arranmore Island and in the US.

Arranmore.
So we put a load of clothes in, it fills up with water and then....... nothing, no aggitation, no nothing. We all looked at each other and began the frantic search for the directions to the washer. About 20 minutes later it starts to wash at the same time we find the manual and find out that evidenlty there is a presoak feature. So we wait for the wash cycle to finish, and wait, and wait, and wait and wait for 90 minutes. That must have been the cleanest my clothes ever were, 20 minutes of presoak and 90 minutes of wash. We did  get a kick out of the spin cycle, I thought for sure that the thing was going to come flying out of the laundry room cause it sounded like a jumbo jet in there.

We put the clothes in the dryer and put it thru 3 drying cycles only to find the clothes were still wet, not damp mind you but wet, lol.

Arranmore.
It was during cycle number 4 that we started looking for places to hang the clothes in the living room so that they would dry by tomorrow morning. The day was saved by our friendly neighbor  the Professor who came to check on us and see if we needed anything. He built us another coal fire and we dryed our clothes by the fire. A valuable lesson was learned form all this, I'd rather pay a laundromat to do my clothes than spend  5 hours of my vacation doing it myself, lol.

We decided to do some more sightseeing around the lighthouse in the afternoon and got some great shots of the cliffs; what a beautiful place. We had lost Kerry for a while and when she finally found us again she was laughing hysterically. Evidently, she went back to the house to get something and it ended up she was not in our house at all but in the Professor's house.

Me in front of the lighthouse.
"I walked in and saw these big muddy boots and thought who the hell is in here". We all got a good laugh out of it including the Professor when we told him later. We camped out to get sunset pics and then decided to go eat.

Later that evening we were watching tv when we heard Kerry scream from the kitchen. We ran in there and she was staring out the window and the Professor was staring back. We let him in; cause we're cautious like that He was holding this little tiny bird that he explained was from Scandinavia and is not normally seen in Ireland. It was a cute little thing. He said that they were all confused and were flying into the light. He couldn't find anything wrong with the little guy so he let it go and it flew away. There were 100's of birds outside what an amazing sight.

kingelvis14 says:
Another fun day and a lesson learned. Never, never waste a perfectly perfect day on doing laundry!!
Posted on: Jan 09, 2008
Aditu says:
I know what's up with that, thank god for the coal fire, lol.
Posted on: Sep 30, 2006
Aditu says:
You know the funny thing is I am SO not like that in the real world, it's just when we're away everything is like a big adventure, lol.
Posted on: Sep 30, 2006
Me in front of the lighthouse.
Another successful timer shot.
Another successful timer shot.
The cliffs outside the lighthouse.
The cliffs outside the lighthouse.
The cliffs.