Inch Strand, Fungi the Dolphin, Blasket Islands.

Dingle Travel Blog

Beautiful Inch Strand.

We left the B and B for a day of fun in Dingle. Out first stop was the Fungi the Dolphin boat tour; we had tried to do the boat tour the day before but we had gotten into town too late for the sailing.  We booked the tour which was a little later in the morning and decided to go to Inch Strand in the meantime. Inch Strand is one of those places where you see pictures of it and think wow that's beautiful; when you see it in person though, beautiful it doesn't even come close to describing it. As a matter of fact I can't thinkg of a workd to describe it, it defies description. All I will say is that if I died today and went to heaven, heaven will be Inch Strand.

Inch Strand.
When you see the pictures you'll hopefully understand although as I already said pictured do not do it justice. An added bonus for me, there were a family of cats all running around and playing, so of course I had to take some pictures.

We headed back to Dingle town to do our Fungi tour. Fungi is a dolphin that swam into Dingle Bay several years back and evidently liked it becaues he is still there. When boats go out Fungi follows along. The scenery from the boat was really nice, until Fungi came along that is. After he appeared I didn't see much of the scenery cause I was far too busy looking at him. That was one of the highlights of my trip, seeing Fungi swimming and jumping alongside the boat.

Following the boat trip we decided to drive around Dingle penninsula a little bit.

Heaven on earth, in my opinion.
We started to drive around Slea Head. On the way we stopped at a beach at Ventry where yet another puppy decided to be my friend. We then started to drive thru Conner Pass but got sidetracked at Dunquin. We then decided that we wanted to take another boat trip, this time to the Blasket Islands.

The Blasket Islands remained an island community until 1953 when the island was finally abandoned. At that time there were only 22 inhabitants on the island. The population had increased and decreased through the years but  according to records the island hit it's peak in 1916 when 176 people lived on the islands.

Of course the trip to the island turned into an adventure.

Inch.
You know it's going to be an adventure when you are told you have to put on lifejackets in order to do the tour. We got  on a little boat and headed  out to the Blaskets. We got to a certain point and they shut the boat we were on down and all of the sudden this little tiny rubber raft comes out to our boat. We're then told that the water next to the island was too shallow for the boat we were on so we had to transfer to a dingy to go the rest of the way. This of course causes me great stress as the ocean is very choppy this day and I'm not feeling very coordinated knowing I'm going to be climbing over the side of the boat and into a raft. I made Kerry go first cause I'm such a good friend and she made it okay. I figured it was ok then caue Kerry is less coordinated than me and she'll tell you that herself.
The cat family.
Needless to say, we all made it to the Blasket Islands without any further incident and feeling pretty damned good about ourselves, lol.

When you visit the Blasket Islands, the boat drops you off and then comes back for you 2 to 3 hours later. We wandered all over the island; we were on the Great Blasket. The island has a very lonely feel to it with all the abandoned houses of the people who had lived here, but it is beautiful none the less. We found an amazing beach and just sat there for a long while. We were joined by sea lions who would pop their heads up out of the water and look at us. We moved up to the land above the beach and sure enough the sea lions came out of the water to lay on the beach and sunbathe. There was a huge bull with them and I was glad that they decided to wait their turn.

The cat family dad.
We decided to make our way back to the hostel and almost lost Kerry on the way when she almost fell over the side of a land bridge. I've never seen anyone run in a 90 degree angle in my life but Kerry did it!! Of course, once she was safe we all laughed the rest of the way back to the hostel. The hostel is open from  April or May to October and was originally set up becaue sometimes if the weather takes a turn the boat can't get back to pick up the visitors and it gives them a place to stay the night. The lady that runs the hostel lives there with her dog and also sells things that she makes like scarves. I bought a green/orange/yellow scarf from her that I still wear. She also makes shortbread and tea for everyone who's waiting for the boat. She was a really nice lady.

The boat finally came and we made the transfer to the big boat without any problems, and although we felt a little sea sick from the roughness of the sea we made it back to the mainland fine. We finished the rest of the drive aroun Slea Head and headed back to Dingle for another night out of, and I know this is shocking, cider and music :0.

euphemy says:
I still don't know how I didn't fall all the way to the ground!
Posted on: Oct 16, 2006
Kerry on Inch Strand.
Kerry on Inch Strand.
Scenery of Dingle from the Fungi t…
Scenery of Dingle from the Fungi …
Dingle scenery.
Dingle scenery.
Scenes from the boat.
Scenes from the boat.
Dingle.
A really cool boat we saw.
A really cool boat we saw.
FUNGI APPEARS!!
FUNGI APPEARS!!
Fungi.
Fungi.
Me and my new friend at Ventry.
Me and my new friend at Ventry.
Beautiful Dingle penninsula.
Beautiful Dingle penninsula.
Looking at the Blaskets.
Looking at the Blaskets.
Leaving the main land behind.
Leaving the main land behind.
Leann and Kerry all ready to go.
Leann and Kerry all ready to go.
The dreaded dingy.
The dreaded dingy.
The Great Blasket Island.
The Great Blasket Island.
Abandoned houses on the Blaskets.
Abandoned houses on the Blaskets.
The beautiful beach we found.
The beautiful beach we found.
A sea lion checking us out.
A sea lion checking us out.
Looking down at our beach.
Looking down at our beach.
Dingle