Giles Quay and Carlingford

Carlingford Travel Blog

Giles Quay.

So we headed up the Cooley Penninsula on our way to Carlingford and on the way saw this sign for Giles Quay. We got out the trusty tour books, looked it up and found out that it was a beach area. A very cool beach area. It was the first of many unplanned stops (see when we built the itineray we added time to do unplanned things, lol) We. walked along the beach, found a path to an old abandoned farmhouse and just enjoyed the day. It was beautiful...when suddenly, these big old dark storm clouds move in. In a matter of minutes it went from bright daylight to dark as night, the wind picked up and we thought we were definitely getting drenched. Then all the sudden the clouds moved out, the sun was shinning and not a drop a rain had fallen.

Giles Quay.
You know how people in Ireland say that the weather can change 10 times an hour not a fabrication.

We drove on and got to Carlingford, checked into the B and B and went to wait out by the lough for sunset. Kerry and I are sunset freaks, once on a bus tour we actually almost missed dinner waiting for a sunset that never happened. Let me just mention that I don't make a decision to almost miss dinner lightly unless I think there's going to be a really good sunset....or I'm lost in Killarney National Park for 3 hours but that's a different vacation for a different time. So we see the sunset not the best but still the first Irish sunset we witnessed on the trip so still good. Then we got ready to go out and hit the town. This of course also turned into a laughable moment ( don't you wish you could go on vacation with us, right? lol), when I can't find my clothes.

Giles Quay.
  I pack things in those vacuum bags, which I might add really do let you bring alot more clothes on vacation but also make your suitcase feel like a boulder. Now when I put the suitcase in the car in the morning I was like wow I must be getting stronger cause it didn't seem nearly as heavy as it had, meanwhile Kerry is dragging her suitcase complaining about how much heavier it feels. So yes, you guessed it, I'm in a panic trying to find the number to the B and B in Trim and trying to remember the dial 1 rule and Kerry opens her suitcase and there's my clothes. Another crisis averted. That is until I blew up my brand new converter on the first use but oh well. Anyway, Kerry and I go out and have our first taste of  Irish cider in 1 1/2 years and meet some nice Irish boys whose family owned a pub. Now it doesn't get any better than that my friends.

Oh and Kerry and I got into a drop dead screaming match later in the night (thanks alot Magner's) about walking back to the B and B alone, but now that we've seen Hostel it will never happen again, lol. Geez sorry this is so long winded. Until next time.

Aditu says:
Oh I was hurting also my friend, lol.
Posted on: Sep 24, 2006
euphemy says:
That was some night! I was sooo hungover the next day!
Posted on: Sep 22, 2006
The start of sunset.
The start of sunset.
Sunset.
Sunset.
Shalom our B and B which had the c…
Shalom our B and B which had the …
Carlingford