The Cliffs of Moher

Doolin Travel Blog

Fanore Beach.

We got up early today (ferry day), got all our stuff ready and went to wait outside for our 8:15am cab we had booked the day before.... the notoriously unreliable cab that is. So were waiting outside, we were booked on the 9am ferry back to the mainland. Well, 8:15 comes and goes, so does 8:20, 8:25 and also 8:30. At this point we decide we better start hoofing it if we're going to even make the 9am ferry. I have to say no one was saying a word; I can't speak for Kerry or Leann but as for myself had I opened my mouth one of two things would have happened, 1) I would have spit nails or 2) I would have sounded like the father from A Christmas Story neither of which would have been pleasant. At 8:45 we were still about 1/2 mile from the ferry terminal and my worst fear realized, we were going to miss the ferry.

Fanore Beach.
I was just about to tell the girls we might as well slow down cause we were not going to make it when this tiny little car pulls up and a voice asks "Are you headed to the ferry?". I said that we were trying and the person says " You'll never make it get in". You'll never make it get in, can you believe it, I just stood there mouth hanging open like an idiot and this couple get out of the car, grab our stuff shove it in the trunk, push us in the car and rush us to the ferry terminal with minutes to spare.

The friendly nature of the Irish never cease to amaze me; I mean from the waves that you get when you pass a car on an Irish road, to the willingness to help when your lost to this. It's just not something I'm used to.

I'm a big fan of signs.
Now I'm not saying that Americans aren't friendly and helpful... but we seem to be alot more preoccupied and self absorbed with things, myself included. One time (in band camp, just kidding) when I was in high school I blew out a tire on a highway and had to walk to the nearest exit to call my dad to get him to come to bring a spare. Side note: valuable lesson learned always make sure you have a spare. While I was using the pay phone in the gas station there was a PA State Trooper right there, did he offer to help or to drive me back to the car hell no he asked me if my car was sufficiently off the road got in his car and drove away. I was 17 years old at the time, on the interstate sitting on the hood of the car that WAS sufficiently off the side of the road.
The Cliffs of Moher.
During that time 3 PA State Troopers passed me along with about 200 other drivers during the time I sat there waiting for my dad and not 1 person stopped to see if  I needed a ride or needed help, not 1.   Then jump ahead to 9-24-03 these 2 people who have no idea who we are or what's going on stop and see if we need help and then take us to the ferry and refuse to take any gas money for it. Anyway, enough of that rant.

The plan for the day was to go to the Cliffs of Moher. We stopped at Fanmore Beach on the way and hung out there for awhile, what a pretty beach. We got to the Cliffs in the afternoon. Like Giant's Causeway we had all been to the cliffs before but again someplaces you just want to see again.

The Cliffs of Moher with O'Brien's tower in the background.
Plus the last time I was there I saw the cliffs from O'Brien's tower and this time I wanted to look straight down for idiot pic #2, lol. We hung out at the cliffs the rest of the afternoon just soaking it all in and enjoying  the beautiful day. We finallly decided to head to the B and B in Doolin where we were spending the night.

We stayed at the Churchfield B and B which will always have  a fond place in my heart because there were pancakes on the breakfast menu. After 11 days of eggs and bacon I could have wept for joy for pancakes. Another reason I love Churchfield was Maueve, the owner, had a ton of  local pottery and she told me where she got it.

The cliffs.
It was this little store on a back road outside of Doolin and when we went  there was no one there but the pottery was sitting outside with a sign as to how much everything was and a little container to put the money in for what you bought. Can you believe that, how amazing it must be to live somewhere where you actually trust people!! I for one can not even imagine that. Anyway, that was the first place that I bought pottery and years later I have quite a collection of Irish and Scottish pottery.

The only thing that I didn't like about Churchfield which they had no control over was the fact that it was right across the street from a hostel.  Not just any hostel mind you but, well let me put it this way we dubbed it the "Peeinging hostel".

Idiot pic #2.
Evidently there were NO bathrooms inside because every time we were outside, to unload the car, to walk around town, to return to get ready for dinner, to walk to dinner, walking home from the pub, loading the car up in the morning, no exageration every time people were outside in the yard peeing. Leann even saw someone peeing outside a window, how lovely.

Other than that, Dooling was a wonderful place and Churchfield was one of my favorite B and B's and I would recomend it to anyone.  Later in the evening we went out to McDermont's Pub, drank some cider, chatted with the bartender who was hilarious, watched a band called the Caliegh Bandits and played with a black dog that seemed to follow us everywhere. I have to say that animals love me and I'm so much more and animal person than a people person and from this day of vacation on I was an animal magnet; and of course if there was an animal in camera range I snapped a pic.

Im a big fan of signs.
I'm a big fan of signs.
The Cliffs of Moher.
The Cliffs of Moher with OBriens…
The Cliffs of Moher with O'Brien'…
Churchfield B and B.