Ceide Fields and Achill Island

Clifden Travel Blog

Belleck Castle.

We slept in this morning and then reluctantly left the castle. I had decided this morning that I was far to tired and lazy to drag/carry the suitcase down the stairs; I tried to pawn the suitcase off on Leann but she said that I if I insisted on packing half my clothes and all my shoes than it was my problem how to get the suitcase down the large, wide marble steps.  I stood at the top and looked down at the large, wide, marble stairs and decided that I would do what any sensible yet lazy person would do..... I would put the suitcase on it's side get it started and then ride it down the large, wide marble stairs. The experience was a little scary and VERY  loud. The only person in the hall when I hit the bottom was a lady walking around looking at the different paintings and I pretty much scared the crap right out of her.

I love this Dragon Sconce holder.
I hit the bottom with a BAM, she jumped, we looked at each other and both busted out laughing, I have this uncanny knack at making friends, lol.

Once we got the car all packed we headed to Ceide Fields which evidently is Europe's largest stone age enclosure. The site encompasses 4 miles and includes walled pastures to graze cattle and grow crops. The area was covered with bogs and is still being excavated. We spent the bulk of the afternoon here because there was  1 1/2 wait for a tour.

After we left Ceide Fields, we drove to Achill Island by route of Clew Bay. We took the scenic drive of Achill Island, there were really striking areas of the island and it is a place I would love to spend more time in.  We left Achill Island and headed to Clifden where we were going to spend the night. We drove by Loch Leanne and the BunBaine Mountains enroute. We didn't get to the Ardmore House B and B until 9:45pm and decided we better not sleep in any more.

Aditu says:
It was beautiful there, I'd love to go back there as well!
Posted on: Jan 10, 2008
kingelvis14 says:
It sounds like Achill Island is a place that I would like, too. I'll definitely put it on my list of "must do's"
Posted on: Jan 09, 2008
euphemy says:
The dinner at the castle was fantastic!
Posted on: Oct 06, 2006
The great hall.
The great hall.
The sitting room.
The sitting room.
Looking down on the hall.
Looking down on the hall.
The road to the castle.
The road to the castle.
The view from Ceide Fields.
The view from Ceide Fields.
Ciede Fields.