The Aran Islands

Kilronan Travel Blog

Dun Aonghasa on the Island of Inishmore.

Another early day because....you guessed it we had to take a ferry. We were heading to the Aran Islands and I have to say all my misgivings were for naught  because the way to the ferry terminal was very well marked. You can't take your car on the island so I didn't even have to worry about backing the car onto the ferry. Of course, this presented another problem of what should I pack and how will I get the luggage to the B and B. We all condensed into smaller bags and didn't really think it would be a very big deal because according to the website the B and B was only 100 yards from the ferry terminal. Well, evidently 1oo yards means 1 1/2 miles because that was how far it really was and that's how far we walked with the luggage.

The cliffs.
Now I say we packed things into smaller bags but when I say smaller I certainly don't mean backpacks. If you haven't noticed we're not the backpack/hostel/rough it types. Not to say that we're high maintainence or anything, it's just I for one am far to old for that.

Well, we eventually got to the B and B, and called for a cab in the morning to get back to the ferry. Of everything I had read about the Aran Islands the one thing that was consistent was that the cab service is notoriously unreliable and to be sure that the first thing that you do is call for a cab back to the ferry the minute you get there. We did that. We then headed back to the harbor area to catch a tour of the island. We had originally talked about renting bikes but by the time we got to the B and B, got everything in the rooms, called for the cab and walked back to the harbor it was already afternoon and we were afraid we wouldn't be able to see everything we wanted to see.

Looking over the cliffs.
Instead we ended up taking a van tour. The driver explained that since people can't bring their cars onto the island, the people who live on the island make a living or supplement a living by giving these tours in the summer months by using their own cars or vans. He said that there are only so many cars on the island and you have to pay a pretty hefty price for the luxury.

Our first stop was Dun Aonghasa and iron or bronze age fort that sits right on the cliff edges, what a wonderful place. It was packed with people but even so it was so large that you never really felt crowded. The cliffs had amazing views out to the ocean. I have this thing about wanting to lay on the edge of the cliffs and take pictures straight down so I got to do that.

idiot pic #1.
Of course Kerry and Leann took pictures of me taking those pictures which my mother refers to as the idiot pictures, evidently she doesn't think that was such  a great idea, oh well, lol. We then went to Teampall Chiaralin a ruined church from the 11th or 12th century. The church was dedicated to St. Aran. The celtic crosses in the graveyard were beautiful.

After the tour we decided to do a little shopping since we had been in Ireland for 10 days and other than post cards and newspapers hadn't really bought anything. I'm a bit of an Aran Sweater junkie and had 1 from a prevous trip but I decided I needed a new one. A new one as in 1, that was the plan anyway, when suddenly it was the end of September AND the end of the tourist season and every sweater was marked down 50% to 75%!!! 50% to 75%!!! Come on who can resist Aran Sweaters marked down like that I ask you?? So instead of 1 Aran sweater, I got 3 Aran sweaters, yep you read right 3 Aran sweaters.

On the cliffs edge.
I got 2 natural fibers and 1 hunter green sweater all for the price of 1 of the sweaters during the month of July. AWESOME!!  I'm sorry but to me there is nothing better in the winter than being bundled up in a warm Aran sweater with a good book and a cup of tea. So needless to say I made up for no shopping in 10 days while I was on the Aran Islands. We then went to dinner and spent the night listening to traditional Irish music at Joe Watty's pub.

Aditu says:
I can't remember the name of it, I'm sure I have it written down somewhere. It was a really nice place just far away from the ferry (maybe not if I hadn't been lugging 2 50lb suitcases :)
Posted on: Nov 06, 2007
SolitariusI says:
Which B&B did you stay at?
Posted on: Nov 05, 2007
SolitariusI says:
Somewhere I have a bigger idiot pic of my toes hanging over the edge looking down.
Posted on: Nov 05, 2007
Dun Aonghasa on the Island of Inis…
Dun Aonghasa on the Island of Ini…
Kerry on the cliff edge.
Kerry on the cliff edge.
the cliffs of Inishmore.
the cliffs of Inishmore.
Teampall Chiaralin.
Teampall Chiaralin.
The crosses at the church.
The crosses at the church.
An Aran home.
An Aran home.
A curragh the boat that used to be…
A curragh the boat that used to b…
Inishmore.
A little goat on the island.
A little goat on the island.
Kilronan