In the beginning....

Dublin Travel Blog

Haldir finally packed.
My friends Kerry, Leann and I decided to go to Ireland for 3 weeks, this was my 5th trip to Ireland  but the first time that I was going to drive. Needless to say there were many sleepless nights thinking about wrecking the rental car in the weeks leading up to vacation. That and would I be able to fit all I need into the monstrosity which is my pet name for my suitcase. It just may be the BIGGEST suitcase known to man. I am notoriously a horrible packer with a shoe fetish. Inapporpriate packer + shoe fetish = fines at airport, lol. All my worries were for naught however; we landed safely in Dublin with everyone's luggage. I swear those are the worst moments for me watching everyone's luggage come around on the carriage and waiting for mine.
Kerry and I trying and Haldir.
We got our rental car, a Renault which we called Haldir cause it had an elf sticker on the window, actually got all our luggage in the car, took pictures of everything (I am also a picture whore) and got ready to leave. Of course 20 minutes later and we were still parked in the airport parking lot while I  1) got the nerve to shift the car into drive and 2) tried to figure out how the hell to get out of the parking lot. We finally left the airport and within 5 miles hit our first roundabout which appeared worse than it was. If you ask me roundabouts beat the hell out of stop signs, more movement and if you miss a turn just keep going around. I can't begin to tell you how many "look kid's big ben, parliment" moments we had on vacation. I'm sure the driver's who knew what they were doing loved us, lol.
Aditu says:
Exactly!! We did a Cosmus trip the first couple of times and then just decided we could do it ourselves. Next time definitely do b/c it really is fun to see things at your own pace.
Posted on: Sep 15, 2007
ceceliafran says:
I've really enjoyed reading your blog -- wish I had found it before our trip (we just got back). We went on a Globus tour and think we should have driven ourselves because we didn't get to explore those side roads at all. Oh well, next trip......!
Posted on: Sep 12, 2007
Aditu says:
Hi Rob, thanks for checking out the blog. Trim holds a special place in my heart because it was the first place I ever drove to while driving on the right side of the road. Although, I think there may have been some times I wasn't on the right side of the road, lol. You're right about Ballina and when I went to correct it I didn't know the lat and long so I just left it as is :) I love your country it's a wonderful, wonderful place!
Posted on: Sep 04, 2007