On a rainy day in Oxford

Oxford Travel Blog

Boo on weather!!

On Sunday David and I decided to take a trip to Oxford.  It was really cheap to get there, just £10 return per person by train, which was nice.  There are also buses that go there but its about the same price apparently.  I'll stick to the train.  Train travel is nice and relaxing and doesn't jolt you around like on the buses.

Unfortunately, Sunday also ended up being one of the worst days weather-wise.  It was rainy, cold, and windy for most of the day.  :(  Boo!  Plus we had to get up super early for the train.  However, I will suggest that anyone heading to Oxford on a Sunday take a train that arrives after 11 because ours got there WAY too early and hardly anything was open!  That's something I miss about home: things being open for a reasonable amount of time!  Here everything closes as soon as it hits 6pm and hardly anything is open on Sunday!  Its very frustrating.

Bridges of Sighs

We had sort of a plan for the day that ended up being thrown out the window.  First thing we actually ended up doing was going to the Pitt Rivers Museum, which is inside the Natural History Museum.  Its basically a crazy collection of artifacts from all over the world.  When you first walk in its almost overwhelming because there is just SO MUCH STUFF in so small of a place.  However, it was very cool to walk around.  They even had shrunken heads!  Unfortunately for future visitors, it closed the day after we were there until next year.

We also visited a few towers that day and climed up to have a look at the city.  There is one in the middle of the city center, the Carfax Tower, that had an amazing view.  However, it got better when we climbed another at a church we found ( I think it was St Mary's, but don't quote me!).

Some tourists
  The view was SPECTACULAR!  Plus, you were right smack dab in the middle of some of the colleges so you could see all around.

Spent some time at the Ashmolean Museum, which is an interesting art and history museum.  Like the Pitt, they are closing most of their galleries for renovations so it was quite small compared to what it usually is.  They had a lot of artifacts from Ancient Greece, Rome, and Egypt, as well as a pretty good collection of paintings.  David would know more about them than I would... but I saw some I liked so that's always nice! :D  But I left my umbrella there which was sad because when I woke up today it was still raining... boo!!

We didn't end up seeing the inside of any of the colleges.  After we arrived, we didn't really feel like spending the money to go see them.

Alice's Shop
  I'm sure it would have been wonderful but the outsides were very cool so why waste ££ to see the inside?  Eh...  I guess the dreary day just made me want to rest a lot and be a bit stingy.

We spent the end of the afternoon in a pub that my Lonely Planet guide recommended, called the Turf.  It was quite hard to find, back in an alley, but there was a lot of space and I wished it had been sunny because their patio seating would have been nice.  I had a jacket potato (baked potato) with cheese and baked beans and it was legend!!  These Brits know a thing about potatoes and love to put anything and everything on them.  Also had an Old Rosie cider that was from the bottom of the barrel and tasted like it.  :/  I almost told the girl I didn't want it while she was pouring it and having a hard time filling the glass because I knew it would end up being terrible, but then for some reason I felt bad because she was trying SO HARD and I chickened out.

It was drinkable until the last bit, which tasted of apple cider vinigar.  Ick.

Oxford is a lovely place with a really great vibe to it.  Would definitely love to go back on a better day.  Also, there was quite a bit of nice shopping to be had only we didn't indulge at the time.  Haven't really done any shopping here until Saturday when I bought a few more shirts for work.  Hadn't really planned on needing office clothes. :x

Alices Shop
Back road
Back road
Oxford Sights & Attractions review
Eh....
Well, it was free is all I can say. :/ Limited to two exhibits and they were rubbish. Well, the one was a film which I watched some of and wasn't… read entire review
Oxford Sights & Attractions review
Interesting Collection of Just About Everything
When you first step into this museum, you may feel a bit like you're stepping into a warehouse or a fleamarket full of row after row of STUFF. But up… read entire review
Oxford