Happy cows come from Holland

Amsterdam Travel Blog

Dover ferry port

Friday was finally the day!!  Our first over-night trip away from London.  We decided to take a 3 day/2 night coach trip to Amsterdam/Bruges with International Friends.  Pretty good deal, £179/person with travel, hotel, breakfast, and a few tours included.

Early, early start in the morning.  Had to be to Lewisham by 6:55am, which thankfully was only a 20 minute bus ride away from us.  However, when we got there I was concerned about where we should meet up with the coach so I phoned the emergency line; the guy I spoke to let me know and then also told me the coach was running late.  In fact, it ran so late that the guy from the company came and picked us up in his own car and drove us the hour to the ferry in Dover to meet up with it.

It was a nice little VIP escourt.  :D

Took the ferry from Dover to Calais, France.  It felt like being on a mini cruise ship, complete with bars and on board shopping.  That coupled with the fact we saw a real cruise ship in port made me want to take another cruise!  :p  The White Cliffs of Dover are pretty impressive.  Its just this huge expanse of land and all of a sudden it drops off into the ocean hundreds of feet below.  Very cool.

The coach ride was alright, just very long and we were accompanied by some of the most annouying people possible.  Mostly FSU students  who were only excited about being stoned for three days.  Boo!  lol...

To explain the title of this entry, there are SO MANY cows and sheep in rural Holland.

White Cliffs of Dover!
  And they all look so much more happy than cows back home, all laying out in verdant fields and staring into canals.  They just look better somehow... lol...  I know, strange.

Arrived in Amsterdam at around 5:30pm and checked into our hotel.  Up until right before we left, we were supposed to be staying in The Winston, which is apparently a really cool hostel right in the center of the city.  However, due to some rodent problems we were moved to the Casa400 which was the upgrade for the trip (you pay £10 extra a person to stay here but we got it for free).  Honestly, I wish it hadn't happened and I would never have paid the upgrade; the Casa400 is a 15 min bus ride outside the city and not convenient in the least.  It was an alright hotel, don't get me wrong, and David and I were fortunate enough not to have to share a room with anyone, but it was just a hassle.

Especially because the last bus runs are midnight so if you wanted to do anything after that you'd have to take a cab or pay extra for the night bus.  :/

After check in we were shuttled off to an evening river cruise.  Amsterdam is BEAUTIFUL!  There is so much more to it than drugs and hookers, I swear!  :D  Lots of lovely houses and a really wonderful canal system.  Plus, people ride their bikes everywhere!  Its so great to just walk around and be outside with all the vibrant, happy people and amazing scenery.

But of course, no trip to Amsterdam would be complete without a stroll through the Red Light District.  David and I got lost from the tour group almost immediately, and I became very pissed off, but we found them about 10 furious minutes later.

Us on the Canal Cruise
  The RLD is strange... but oddly not as strange as I thought it would be.  Girls just stand in what amounts to store windows beckoning to passerbys, as if its totally normal because I guess to them it is.  Also, there are a lot of strip clubs, live sex shows, sex shops, and coffee shops (which is where they sell the stuff to smoke).  Didn't partake in anything, so I'm sorry I can't elaborate on the quality.  ;p  Its definitely not a place for children or prudes, but I guess you have to see it just to say you have.

That evening, David and I spent some time walking around, enjoyed a coffee (not code word for anything, lol), and had some deliciously cheap chinese food before heading back to the hotel.  It was a nice first day and I slept AMAZINGLY.

Continued tomorrow ------>

homeres says:
I Love Amsterdam, been there 3 times and i know the city well. was lost for 2 hours walking all over at 3am. Until finally me and my friend got in a taxi which costed 22 euro, we were that lost, but that drunk!!

Posted on: Jul 22, 2008
inkie1010 says:
Nice review :) I always love to go to Amsterdam. funny thing is, I am Dutch but I have never been to the RLD or the coffeeshops, I just go to Amsterdam for shopping :D
Posted on: Jul 14, 2008
More Dam Square
Canal at Night
Canal at Night
Amsterdam Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Tasty Chinese food for the budget traveler
Great centrally located Chinese food spot right near Dam Sq. 6.95 euro special for a plate of food with rice. I had the kung pao pork which was extr… read entire review
Amsterdam Hostels review
Bare bones hotel a bit out of the way
Stayed here on a tour we took when our original hostel ended up being cancelled due to a problem they were having. Therefore, I really don't know the… read entire review
Amsterdam