Finally Here!

Richmond Travel Blog

Henry, the friendly cat who lives at Ali's house

We made it.  After what feels like an eternity of travel we made it to Richmond, London, UK!  All and all the trip wasn't horrible, but I would just like to say that I would never wish JFK airport on anyone.  It was the most boring, ugly airport of all time, and there was next to nothing affordable to eat but sandwiches and Burger King (though it was absolutely the best BK I've ever had).

The flight was alright.  A fellow BUNAC-er had told me we would have in-seat TVs and free beer/wine, even in economy, but I guess our plane wasn't into all that fancy stuff.  Instead they showed "Mad Money" with Queen Latifa, which I've never seen and am still proud to say I avoided watching.

After a rough night's sleep we arrived at Heathrow.

David and I waiting for our plane!
  Thank goodness Ali's mom picked us up because we ended up with way more bags than we should have and the carry-on alone was a pain in the bum.  She brought us back to their amazingly adorable townhouse in Richmond, where I currently sit.

We settled in and had a bite to eat before deciding to explore a bit.  Richmond seems like a pretty great neighborhood.  We saw a ton of pubs and I wanted to go into every single one but decided to ease-up in case the money thing becomes an issue before we start work.

Checked into getting a sim card for my phone but the store was out of the super-cheap one (4p/min to the US!) so we'll have to try again tomorrow.

Went to Richmond Green which is basically this big open lawn where a whole bunch of people were just hanging out, kicking around a soccer ball or laying about drinking coffee.

Best BK toys ever!
  It was odd to see so many people outside!  In Orlando I feel like you hardly ever see people when you drive past parks, even nice ones!

Then we found a supermarket, a Waitrose, which I couldn't tell if it was expensive or not.  Price/kg or litre means nothing to me!  I know it should but this is going to take some getting used to.

Tomorrow we head to the BUNAC orientation.  Starts at 10:30 and Ali's brother told us it will probably be close to 1 1/2 - 2hrs to get there because we have to take about 3 different transportation lines.  :x  Will let you know how that goes, though I'm not quite sure we'll make it.  Oh well, there is also one on Friday, though I'd like to get settled in with work and all before then.

Henry, the friendly cat who lives …
Henry, the friendly cat who lives…
Richmond