Istanbul - robbed at the hamam

Istanbul Travel Blog

Turkish hamam

We arrived in Istanbul bright and early, so we decided to head back into the city after storing our luggage at the airport. We started by going to the Spice market to buy the necessary souvenirs and Turkish delights, and met the Turkish Jackie Chan, a local guy who was fluent in Chinese and had met Jackie Chan while Jackie was filming the Accidental Spy at the Spice Bazaar. He must have been quite the salesman because we all ended up doing the majority of our shopping there that morning!

We wrapped up our time in Istanbul by going to a hamam, or Turkish bathhouse. The one we went to was just off the Sultanahmet Square, and is actually voted the number one bathhouse in the world, and featured in the guide, 1000 Places To See Before You Die. The experience was fantastic! Who would have guessed being man-handled by big, burly, Turkish guys could be so relaxing.

Somewhere during the course of our bath, we got swindled for another 20 liras for the silk bath. I was debating whether or not to go for it, but I peeked around the corner and already saw Raymond on his back fully enjoying the experience. So I decided to go for it as well, not knowing that neither of us had any money left and were both counting on borrowing from each other! I blame the whole thing on Raymond!

Turkish Jackie Chan