EuropeItalyMilan

Bella Milano! (1)

Milan Travel Blog

With fellow traveller Frank

Our flight to Milan from Amsterdam was short as opposed to cross-Atlantic travel from Minneapolis. It was just over two hours. Soon after we landed at Milan's Malpensa Airport - which would be our base to our succeding country hopping, my wife's friends (Manila and Marianne) were there waiting for us. I could actually see their worries and excitement at the same time. I couldn't blame them, they had to wait longer than expected due to some delays getting our luggage. At subway station, I was able to meet another fellow traveller, a fine middle-aged American named Frank. I had a short chat with him, and I learned that he's a freelance and professional photographer based in New York.

At flat's balcony
As a first-timer ourselves to Milan, he was truly thankful when our friends even arranged a taxi for him going to his hotel. We exchanged contacts and parted our ways that night.

We finally reached our friend's flat, chatted for awhile while dining until we finally resigned to bed. It was chilly when I woke up at nine in the morning. I went to flat's balcony and gazed down at city dwellers hurriedly walking past each other, those compact cars treading along narrow streets, and the earth-coloured buildings across our place. Had it not been for their dissimilar heights I would think of them as a single structure built at the same time in the past.

We plotted our schedule for the day and went on our way afterwards. Compare to our hometown city train, Milan subway, on the other hand, was more impressive and a bit complex for first-timers; I believed there are more than three layers of tunnel in the underground system.

Il Duomo

First stop, the Il Duomo. A Gothic-inspired cathedral located at the centre of their web-patterned streets. This cathedral is so immense, and its details impeccable and intricately done. I was specifically impressed with numerous spire surrounding the cathedral's roof, each surmounted with either human or angel figure. Captivated, I had to start taking pictures from afar off to capture its every angle. Inside, I was lucky to capture few shots of its huge interior marble pillars as it is being discouraged from within the cathedral to take pictures. I learned that a sweeping stairway is accessible going up to the top of cathedral; we chose not to pursue it for whatever reason.

Typical of any public place in Europe, Milan has the same open plaza in front of the cathedral - Piazza Duomo.

A lot of fun!
 There, we enjoyed the company of these pigeons flying freely over at the plaza. We enticed them with our hands full of corn kernels. They approached us without hesitation as if we were friends to them. Yes, we bought a handful of kernels from the locals there.

Few minutes later, we ran out of grains and decided to have a coffee break in one of the local bookstores in the area. Manila ordered our coffee. Surprisingly amazed, I smiled at this tiny cup of thick expresso called caffe macchiato that was served to me. Well, what can I say, I usually order Tim Hortons coffee in a much bigger cup! Quite a contrast, really. The taste was potently heavy and different, but it was good, nevertheless! TO BE CONTINUED...

At flats balcony
Garibaldi statue
Garibaldi statue
Centrale
Centrale
El Nido beach Palawan, Philippines…
El Nido beach Palawan, Philippine…
At the plaza