Modes of Transportation

Roatan Travel Blog

Eric and I decided that waking up early our first full day there was not in the stars for us so a 6am fishing trip would be left to the other 4. We would enjoy our huge bed and get up slowly and take our time making our way down to the beach and cruising over to get our scooters.  Sadly the other four don't understand the concept of being quiet and courteous to those who might still be sleeping.  It's not all there fault, the house has vaulted ceilings and tiled floors which acoustically speaking leads to lots and lots of echoes. Mike was upstairs trying to wake Earl (our sleep through anything guy) up and Jessika starts yelling "Michael shut up Brittney and Eric are still sleeping!!" We started giggling at that point because of the absurdity of it all and figured we might as well get up and go get our scooters. We stopped for breakfast and picked up or sweet rides, they were great, I highly recommend them. Just be safe! The drivers on this island are totally insane. Everyone honks at everyone as a greeting but also as a "hey I’m coming up behind you and I will hit you if you don't move just thought I’d tell you ok have a nice day". The also totally pass each other on blind corners. Eric and I took the scooters and went from West End to West Bay Beach (how is that for confusing) West End is more of a town with shops not much in the way of a beach, West Bay is beach white and beautiful and more pricey for everything oh and the cruise ships pretty much send all there people there so it's very busy on cruise ship days.

That evening Jess, Eric and I went for a moonlit horseback ride with Shirkie from El Rancho Barrios he was great we went through West End then took the horses along the beach and up through Gumbalimba Park and over to the other side of the island to the iron shore where he has a platform built that you can stand out on and see the ocean and stars and look down at the iron shore very cool. He was an excellent guide with lots of stories.

My butt was pretty sore the next day but then again I’m not use to riding horses at all and I'd do it again in a heart beat.

VegasBrittney says:
Roatan was amazing and I wouldn't go back without renting a scooter, it was a blast!
Posted on: Jun 18, 2009
Stigen says:
These islands sound like quite a paradise ! renting scooters is probably the best way to see the whole ofthe island , and get to hang out at different beaches!
Posted on: Jun 18, 2009