Wellington Travel Blog

We arrived into Wellington on friday at around 4pm and hunted for accomodation, frustratingly, for over an hour. Finally we bit the bullet and split up, Mam and Al in a guest house and me, Em and Ad in the YHA, all a stone's throw from things. Ad and I took the hostel up on the offer of $5 fush and chups and we met Mam and Al for a couple of drinks in the bar next door.

Next morning we all braved the pouring rain to walk to the Te Papa museum and took the very informative guided tour, learning a bit more about Moari culture, volcanoes, earthquakes and tons of other stuff.

We walked around town and then took a trip by tram to lookout point, and luckily the weather had really brightened up. So much so, that Em and I walked along the harbourside in the early evening sunshine.

We met mam and Al for a great meal in 'Two Souls Bistro', around the corner from the hostel and planned how we were going to attack the South Island. After that, Ad and I hit the town, first playing some pool in a Welsh bar that now occupies a building that used to be a public toilet, no lie. And we even met some welsh people too. We moved on to Courtenay place, where the shots started and... well, Wellington has a great nightlife, I think.

In hindsight, it wasn't a great idea to get the 8am ferry across to the South Island with a raging hangover. Luckily, I managed to sleep a bit on the ferry. Luckily for everyone else, Ad was still drunk and provided much amusement until succumbing to his hangover and falling asleep as well. Shame really, as from what I did see of the Queen Charlotte Sound into Picton, it was beautiful.

photo by: Ils1976