Toronto - CN Tower and the Blue-Jays

Toronto Travel Blog

Downtown T-O from the CN Tower

Back in Toronto we had an early start and a busy, touristy day ahead. The sun was shining and it was a perfect day to see for miles from very high up, so it was off to the CN Tower. I won't get involved in whether or not it's the world's tallest building, all I can say is that it's absolutely incredible and totally dominates the skyline from wherever you are. First of all we were whisked up to the main obs deck and cafe-bar at 346m, then to the sky-pod at 447m. Then it was back down to a mere 342m to see the ground directly beneath us through the glass floor. Suffice to say, the views, particularly on a lovely day, were phenomenal and worth every penny of the entrance fee. Full-on skyscrapers look like small lego buildings and people are reduced to dots.

View through the glass floor

Back to earth we went to the Rogers centre next door to see the Toronto Blue Jays take on Chicago White Sox. The Rogers centre looks quite impressive from the outside but it's superb from within, although it wasn't anywhere near as full as it used to get in the early nineties, when the Blue Jays were 'World' Champs. I'm getting into Baseball. It's hard not to when every bar you go into has at least five screens showing nothing but sport and as long as you don't spend too much time agonising what all the stats mean, it's quite an enjoyable way to spend a few hours. White Sox 3 - Toronto 4.

Continuing the tourist theme, another Toronto essential is to head out to Centre Island, where you get a relaxed atmosphere and perfect views of Toronto's skyline. Back in town we ate in Montana, an uber-venue in the Entertainment distric where they serve amazing rustic pizzas and sub-zero Molson Canadian to feed my Molson muscle (a Canadian beer-belly).

We were disappointed to leave Toronto - it's a cool city with loads more to do and explore than we had time (or money) for - but I'm sure we'll be back, although maybe we'll leave it until the summer next time...

On the ferry to Ccentre Island