weekend away

Berlin Travel Blog

the wall

Well I said September would be my quiet, save a little bit of money month but I couldn’t resist a weekend away in Germany. I flew into Berlin with a group of friends, one Irish, one Belgian, one German, one American from the hash (running group). We stayed one night in Berlin on the floor of an empty shop, free accommodation you can’t beat it! We spent one day rushing around Berlin taking in all the sights, we saw the wall in bits and pieces in various places in the city, Hitler’s bunker which was just a patch of grass, Brandenburg Gate and the memorial to the holocaust victims, which was a very large cement maze which wasn’t very appealing to the eyes but proved to provide much amusement.  Then we went north to stay near a lake, the clearest in Germany I was told.

The rules at the wall
It was very beautiful and we had lovely sunny weather so still warm enough to swim even if the water was freezing. We went for runs/walks in the beautiful forests surrounding the lakes and even had a go a rowing, well I sat in the back of the boat and laughed as we went round and round in circles. Cissy and I decided to jump in and swim the rest of the way across the lake as we weren’t going very fast. Underwear was a replacement for swimwear which wasn’t a problem until we returned to the jetty to discover the rest of our crew, who had actually made it to shore first, had kindly taken our clothes and shoes back to the cabins, so we had to walk the rest of the way through the forest bare feet in our underwear. We returned to Brussels late at night on Sunday all very tired and glad to have a car which one of the other girls said we could borrow while she stayed behind in Germany; the only problem was we had to find it! After walking around on many floors of the wrong car park we finally stumbled across it and returned home.

I have started French lessons again and it is very hard because the lessons are completely in French no English explanations anymore so I always have a headache after my classes. Jade and I help each other with our homework so we have a good deal there.

travelman727 says:
Good luck on your French lessons! I learned Spanish the same way. On good days, I loved my instructor; on bad days, I wanted to shoot her. Everyday, she probably wanted to shoot our entire class :-D
Posted on: Sep 19, 2006
Dr P.P (cissy)
Dr P.P (cissy)
The boys
The boys
The gate mmm looks like one in bru…
The gate mmm looks like one in br…
Satan in the maze