Packing and Unpacking...plans and altered plans

Nackenheim Travel Blog

Pile I

Today is the day: My new Marmot backpack had to take in all I wanted to take. Or rather all I was able to squeeze in… :) I’m normally not that organized, but this time around I made a list of what needed to take to Bots. Here’s the initial list:

• 8 polo shirts
  • 2 pairs of hiking shoes
  • 1 formal pair of trousers
  • 1 shawl
  • pjs

After some deliberations with interns at FES I decided heavy hearted to include a suit, too, so that makes it an additional

•  jacket and pants
  • 2 ties

While packing in Bonn I realized that this is a lot of stuff…I had to bring an extra bag to take some of the clothes and decided to give it another try once in Nackenheim.

Pile II

Today, it all worked out fine with a reduced list:

•  5 polos
  • 5 T-shirts
  • 3 sweaters
  • 3 shirts
  • the rest stayed the same…

As you can see, the backpack looks fine and there is some space left, so I might just as well take another tee or polo…will decide tomorrow. I was told I will be able to buy whatever else I will need once I’ll be in Gabs, so I am not that concerned.

The list of non-clothing stuff is more comprehensive:

• tickets
  • some euros in cash
  • calendar
  • sleeping bag
  • diary
  • books: Naguib Mahfouz, Children of the Alley; Muhammad Yunus, Banker to the Poor; Kahlil Gibran, The Prophet, and one study book: Ulrich Haltern, Europarecht (European law -  to start preparing for the oral exam in November)
  • notebook
  • ipod
  • camera
  • travel guide
  • socket adapter
  • toothbrush etc.
    Packed
  • all according cables and USB-sticks and stuff…

Got it all covered! :)

Last night I visited a friend of mine whom I have known for very long now. She has finally decided to really come and visit me in Bots. Ever since my family decided not to come visit (we had planned for a big 2-week safari) due to my dad’s passing away it looked like I would have been without visitors. Not that that would have been a problem, but I’m still glad there’ll be someone around whom I know and with whom I can travel a bit. She will probably be coming in late May and then we plan to take a trip to the Okavango delta, one of the largest southern African rivers that forms a huge delta in northern Botswana where the water runs into the desert. It’s supposed to be magnificent.

Also, I received an email from Ditshwanelo telling me to come to the office on Monday, that gives me a few days off to arrive and settle. They said they wanted me to rest after my long trip. I thought that was nice.

I guess that is it for now…take care everyone, I will probably try to post an update once I’ll be in Abu Dhabi, but not sure whether that will work. The trip can begin…

Nackenheim