Maastricht Travel Blog› entry 3 of 19 › view all entries
April 21st, 2000 – by: lazybum
Etiquette for carnaval:
red= rood but with carnaval > roet
yellow= geel , during carnaval > gel
green= groen, carnaval > greun
- There's also a song about roet,gel en greun , remember these words and you can sing along ;)
- Go dressed , be creative ;)
- Shmink = to paint your face
- Don't walk along with the parades!
- There is always a Prince of carnaval and maybe a prinsess.. watch them, they throw candy!
- sing( songs are realllly easy, mostly only one line),dance,drink(Brand beer) all over Maastricht for 5 days or 7
- Carnaval is al about the number 11,the call it the crazy number 'gekkegetal' , so on the 11th of the 11th... 11 november, the new prince will be choosen and theres a 1day party
- Every town has a 'lempkes optocht' light parade in the evening!
- One week before carnaval starts there is a ' ouw wiever bal' this is only for women, they have to dress up like 'old women' and then party... but i guess if your a guy and dress up like an old lady your welcome as well ;)
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!