fresh mountain air in Boulder, Colorado, pt 3

Boulder Travel Blog

Reaching city limits of Nederland

Tuesday was THE DAY to climb up the mountains and visit Boulder.  We took the bus to the AVIS rental car, got maps and headed up north.  AVIS was suppose to give us an economy car but but we got a white Honda Coupe instead - a much faster car & got the low rate as well.

Our ears were popping during the ride.  The landscape is still filled with snow and green trees.  Which reminded me of Vermont during the winter.  Kyrstal decided that we should visit Nederland town first (http://www.town.nederland.co.us/index.php/?i=Recreation), which is a hippie mountain town - think of Woodstock, NY but smaller.

Did you know that Nederland is filled of Elks?  Yes, we even bumped into one on the side of the road.

The famous 'Stanley Hotel'
  I have to call it like a dog so the head would turn-up for us to take a photo.  We kept saying deer until we were corrected by the locals.

Nederland's Visitors Center is also a small wooden cottage too.  The great thing was their bathroom was clean & filled with toilet paper.  Yes, it is true, the bathrooms in NYC sucks!  The best thing is NYC do have toilet paper galore.  Next to Visitors Center is a trail to Barker Reservoir which had a frozen lake.  But our shoes were not prepared for the mud, slush, and puddles we entourered.  We basically walked half-way and took our photos with the frozen lake on the background.

The guide told us that horse back riding season didn't start yet in Nederland.  We have to go to Estes Park (http://www.

estespark-colorado.com/horses.htm#horses)  On the road again for the other side of the mountain.  My gf told me that the famous Stanley Hotel which the scary movie 'The Shining' was inspired was located in Estes Park.  Actually, the Jack Nicholson & Shelley Duval version was shot in Oregon.  The tv movie version with Rebecca DeMornay & Tim Daly was made here.   Got our pictures and luckily a dog show is being held at the hotel the next day.  We saw the CUTEST & FUZZY wusy dogs that day. They were SO Huggable! We forgot the name but it was a European breed.  The panaramic view of the Stanley Hotel was perfect bec we have all the snow-capped mountians on the background.

We found the Sombrero Ranch at Estes and YES, Krystal's wish of nature riding is going to happen.  It was $35 bucks for 1 hour with the trails for the private Sombrero Ranch overlooking the rocky mountains.

With Artemis the horse
  A family, 10 of them, also joined us for the ride.  I told the ranch hand that I'm horrible with horses.  I was provided a helmet and they assigned a horse named 'Slim.'  He is huge black thing but very keel tempered.  I would ride him again bec he is very smart.  He avoided most of the water puddles on the trail eventhough about guide leader told us not to get the horse off the trail.  Krystal's horse is Artemis who we think has a crush on Slim bec she just follows what Slim does.  I felt like a mountain woman that day and breathed that FRESH AIR!  Aahhhh....

The famous Stanley Hotel
The famous 'Stanley Hotel'
Downtown Boulder
Aahhh, the fresh air
Aahhh, the fresh air
Giddy yup pardner...
Giddy yup pardner...
Riding with a horse named slim
Riding with a horse named 'slim'
Boulder