No Plan Plan RoadTrip-Travelers Rest To Franklin N.C.

North Carolina Travel Blog

Mountain Road

Travelers Rest or "TR", as this South Carolina  city is known around the area to locals, is just north of Greenville. The name "Travelers Rest" came from the fact that it is situated almost directly against the border with the North Carolina mountains. Travelers would stop for a while in the town, before they began the difficult journey up into the mountains. Often, travelers would have to spend the winter there, waiting for the snow to clear in the mountains, before continuing northward.  Old School found TR while headed south from Ashville when the weather man said “Lows tonight in the teens with a good chance of snow” As neither a tent or a motorcycle have any business in snow OSB headed South to Travelers Rest!
Left Travelers Rest at first light about 39 degrees.  Headed north on Hwy 276 then west on Hwy 64 then North again on  Hwy 28 to Franklin N.C.  Great mountain roads, lots of twist & turns, up & downs, shifted 987 times, stopped where I could to snap a pic or two.  I could not wait till tonight to see the pics.  Stopped a Mickey’s ordered a Big Mac Meal, pulled the laptop out & loaded the pics.   Here they are.

ms_travelr says:
I take it that the part of Hwy 28 is part of the Tail of the Dragon trail? Haven't been but my sister's boyfriend has riden it several times on his bike. He rides it at least once a month and loves it.
gemini59 says:
Now I know what you mean by "no plan" road trip. You never know what to expect, buddy. Thanks for sharing this with us.
TYoungTX says:
I've been there! I do a white water rafting trip on the Chattooga River out of Dillard and Clayton, Georgia every few years with friends from that part of the world. We stay in Dillard -- and if you want to see a movie, you have to go to Franklin. I have even made the hike up to Bridal Veil Falls! Thanks for bringing back some good memories.
I can see for miles & miles
I can see for miles & miles
Smoking
Smoking
Old School How You Been?
Old School How You Been?
How about a Kiss Big Boy?
How about a Kiss Big Boy?
The long underware store
Water Rocks
Water Rocks
Old Schools N.C. Summer Compound
…
Old School's N.C. Summer Compound…
Pretty